The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Im new to the forum and I am setting up a 75 gallon tank that will have discus and is going to be planted as well. My plan was to use 60lbs of Eco Complete planted substrate and then using about 20-35lbs of Carib Sea Sand on the top layer. Would this work well for growing plants? I want sand in the tank for the top layer for the looks. Please let me know what you think would work best! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Yes, mixing them together would be fine for growing plants. However, you will soon find that attempting to layer them will not work as you intended.

The sand will not stay on top of the Eco Complete for long, and with time, it will sink to the bottom.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any recommendations then of stuff that might work a little better but still have that sandy kind of appearance and grow plants nicely and support them?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've recently been using pool filter sand at $10 for a 50lb bag. Make sure you get one without chemicals added and give it a good rinse or two before using.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have Discus w/pool sand and Eco-Complete mix up it only needs to be 3" deep and my plants are doing good just add some root tubs and make sure you keep up on your water changes and your Discus will be happy. Check out SimplyDiscus.com for any info or help on Discus. GOOD LUCK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts