The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I don't do this anymore
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been hearing that Eco-Complete raises pH for a time. A couple weeks. Is this true? Will the pH go back to 6.5 after a few water changes? I need to know because if it makes pH fluacate long term I need to delay buying shrimp.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
haha!, depends on the shipped batch I guess because it did raise pH here the last time I tanked it but after 2x water change that was the end of it. About three other members commented around the same time (same thread) of having like results.
dKH only went up by 2 here, nothing major and like I said a couple water changes ended it.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
There used to be one that definitely did raise pH, it was designed to do that for hard water tanks.
Then there was some problem about the 'regular' EC also raising pH, but the idea was they had corrected that problem.
That was quite a few years ago.
Is the problem coming back?

I think I would rinse it really well, either in a bucket or by doing several water changes with deep vacuuming, then refill and see if the problem persists. It should not. The basic material EC is made of is inert. It is the additives that might be the problem. They are in liquid form, so once they are rinsed away that should be the end of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts