The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 30 gallon jungle aquascape that is finally coming together, but I have a problem... When I first started the tank I planted some unknown species of Echinodorus in the mid-ground/fore-ground, and recently it has grown so large that it is covering some of the focal points of the tank especially my dwarf lilies. So, here is my question: could I simply trim a few of the large leaves of the Echinodorus species on a regular basis to prevent this problem? Echinodorus are naturally tough plants, but I am scared that it isn't a plant that would take well to trimming when it gets to big:confused1:.

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can trim just a few leaves if you want. It just wouldn't be very pretty. Trimming the leaf itself will look unnatural. Removing the leaves entirely that are in the way will often make the plant unbalanced and unnatural looking. You really can't win this one. Sell the plant and replace it with something that fits the space?

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You can trim it and shape it to your liking just fine. Be sure to leave some leaves and especially the center new growth leaf. Its actually win win. That sword will grow back in fury.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.