The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Could anyone give me some names of plants that are similar in leaf shape, growing characteristics, and size, to Echinodorus Tenellus. Obviously i need this plant to be in the foreground of my aquarium. Any help would be much appreciated. None of the aquatic shops where i live seem to have any tenellus or even something like it, so i thought i'd try mail order, but i want to know what to look for.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
180 Posts
will be good to share your specs; tank size, lighting, CO2 etc...

using Echinodorous Tenellus (ET) can be tricky as they grows really tall for a foreground plant but there are dwarf version of the ET as well which i like.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
How high a foreground are you willing to live with. Depending on the conditions, I've had E tenellus grow from 3"-8" tall.

I also have Lilaeopsis novaezelandiae in a couple of tanks that has stayed in the 3" tall range. It also grows a lot tighter than the tenellus, forming a pretty thick carpet.

There's also Utricularia Graminifolia which is another plant that forms a very dense carpet 2-3" tall.

I'll post pics of the Lilaeopsis when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had no idea that tenellus could grow to maybe 8". I really want something no higher than about 2-3". The setup is only about 2 months old, and i hav'nt got any sort of scheme going yet. I will be adding Co2 injection within the next couple of weeks, and also starting a proper fertilization program. The tank dimensions are 100cmx50cmx40cm, it is a Jewel Rio 180. Any other suggestions for foreground plants?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I had no idea that tenellus could grow to maybe 8".
Haha, neither did I. But ADA AquaSoil has a way of enhancing the growth rate of many plants. Just look at ianiwane's Blyxa japonica :icon_lol:

If you're not using AquaSoil then the tenellus 'should' stay in the 3-4" tall range. It'll spread faster with more light and higher CO2/Fert levels. The same can be said about the Lilaeopsis and Utricularia.

·
Registered
711 Posts
i guess i've got the micro version, cuz in my tank, it stayed real low, about 1.5", and most leaves were copper/bronze/red. it spread very quickly in my lapis lustre blasting sand substrate, with 2.4 w/g and diy co2. unfortunately, because of the color of the substrate, it was difficult to see it, so i ripped it out.

i planted some in a 5.5 low-light, non-co2 tank with turface substrate. it has grown taller, about 3" with all green leaves. none of the 4 i planted is sending out runners. seem to have more leaves per plant in this tank.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I've got some in my 10g tank (Flourite/sand/Turface mix) at work and it does get to be only 1-2" above the substrate, but only because the leaves are bent over. The leaves themselves are in the 3" range.

In my 120g tank (Turface) it grew the same way until the density built up to where there wasn't room for the leaves to bend over.

But when I grew it in AquaSoil it was a nearly half way up the front of a 20H. I ripped it all out so I could see in again. :icon_lol:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Most of mine is around 4" (6" leaves bent over) in height but in one section it is at least 8" tall. That section puts out the most runners though. Once it has covered my tank bottom, i'll pull that tall section out. Since I'm aiming for a S.A. biotope I don't know of a better choice. My Dwarf hairgrass was an algae farm [?] so I pulled it out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd just like to say, that obviously i'm a new member of this community, i only found this website yesterday afternoon, so i thought i would start asking for some advice. I can't believe the quick response from all you guys, and the very informative nature of the responses. I'm now hooked, and will keep this forum as my homepage.

Anyway, back to the topic. I have just seen on ebay, a UK listing for some E.latifolius, dwarf amazon sword. Would that suit my purpose just as well as the E.tenellus? Am i right in thinking that at high light levels, the plant should stay in its dwarf state, and at low light levels it will increase in height?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I've found a mail order supplier in the UK, and have ordered some E.tenellus.:icon_lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts