The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Echinodorus tenellus "micro" (Micro Chain Sword) different than Echinodorus tenellus (Pygmy Chain Sword)? Is the micro version just a tiny version of the original? Or are these two different names for the same plant?

Reason I ask is cause I'm setting up a low/medium tech nano tank, and the original (non micro) Echinodorus tenellus grew great in my low tech 55G so if there's a micro version of it that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Harry

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the micro version has slightly longer, skinnier leaves compared to the regular E. tennellus.
So it's actually taller?

Harry

P.S. I found two "looks" when searching for pictures of E. tenellus, the first one looks like this:
http://www.aquapage.cz/Obrazky/Rostliny/Echinodorus_tenellus.jpg
and the other looks like this:
http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/plants/echinodorus-tenellus-profile.jpg

Based on your comments, I'm assuming the first one is the "micro" version and the second is the normal version. Is that correct?

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
The larger variety is much, much taller (10-12"), much wider leaves, and a light green. 'micro' is quite small (3-4"), think leaves, and a deeper green with some pink/maroon.

The first pic is definitely "Micro", but I think that the second pic is of Sagittaria sublata, rather than E. tenellus.
+1. That, or some new runners of the larger variety. Certainly not mother plants.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I believe the micro was recently re-classified to another species. I can't recall at the moment, and I'm too busy to search. But it was something "tenellum" I believe. Maybe someone else knows?

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
I believe the micro was recently re-classified to another species. I can't recall at the moment, and I'm too busy to search. But it was something "tenellum" I believe. Maybe someone else knows?
Helanthium tenellum "Micro". I believe that E. quadricostatus and E. angustifolius are both included in this move, but I may be wrong.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
There's at least 4 varieties of E. tenellus (or H. tenellum, whichever it is now?) that I'm aware of (and have in my tanks)-

-There's long, thin leaves that get a red tint in high light (I'm used to that being called E. tenellus 'red')

-E. tenellus 'narrow' stays green and short.

-I'm used to E. tenellus 'micro' being the one that stays short but has thin leaves and turns red?

-The longer E. tenellus that has slightly broader leaves and stays green I started calling E. tenellus "regular" just to distinguish it from the others.

Then there's also E. angustifolius, which in my tank gets the same height as E. tenellus "regular" but has broader leaves...

(when I say "long" I mean 6-8", and "short" is 2-4")

So how's all that to add mayhem to the confusion? :bounce:

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Also, the large green E. tennellus 'regular' opens up and out from the crown, E. angustifolius grows pretty much straight up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts