The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have Echinodorus tropica, aflame, and hati red.. are there any other
Echinodorus species that don't go insanely past 12"? I have some vesuvius I'll probably throw in but I'd like a taller broad leaf that's not a monster in the making I can put in the background. I'm having a hard time finding others that don't get to 16"-24" range

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's Echinodorus tenellus. :p
That looks a lot like what I was mis-sold as narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (same seller sold me a 16" species (forget the name..w as IDed on here.. started with a g..) as a tropica (2"-6").. needless to say I don't buy from them anymore..). Does it propagate via runners like micro sword does? If so I think I've had it and that stuff had a propensity to dominate a tank! And did well for over a years with no iron dosing just root tabs or soil (depending on tank).
in a 12g long:

I still have 3 plants in a little plastic bin floating unloved... maybe I'll throw them in the tank.

There is Echinodorus Kleiner Bar 'Prinze.' It is a sword that gets about 10." Maybe a little bigger, maybe a little smaller.
Thank you for the info, I'll look into that one more! ^^

·
Registered
806 Posts
That looks a lot like what I was mis-sold as narrow leaf pygmy chain sword (same seller sold me a 16" species (forget the name..w as IDed on here.. started with a g..) as a tropica (2"-6").. needless to say I don't buy from them anymore..). Does it propagate via runners like micro sword does? If so I think I've had it and that stuff had a propensity to dominate a tank! And did well for over a years with no iron dosing just root tabs or soil (depending on tank).
in a 12g long:

I still have 3 plants in a little plastic bin floating unloved... maybe I'll throw them in the tank.
Wow, I've never seen them get that big before! I was referring to this version, which is listed as a pretty small plant:
Echinodorus tenellus - Tropica Aquarium Plants

I have no clue what you have there. Looks similar to a val, only not.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I've never seen them get that big before! I was referring to this version, which is listed as a pretty small plant:
Echinodorus tenellus - Tropica Aquarium Plants

I have no clue what you have there. Looks similar to a val, only not.
Nah not a val, I have vals ad this things leaves/growth is different.. dunno if its dwarf sag.. leaves don't seem quite right? That's about 6" from top of substrate to surface in the photo. Hmm tenellus is pretty small.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chain swords are no longer Echinodorus; all are now Helanthium. :)
Thanks for the info ^^

In my experience flame, ozelot and melon swords also stay smaller. A bit bigger leafed than the kliener Prinz swords, but definitely not huge
I'll look into them, thanks for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.