The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sold to us as a "melon sword." After a month or so, it's just touching the top of the water in a 10 gallon. It seems happy here under a 18w T8.

Does anyone know what this is? If it's going to get huge, I'll put something else in its place. Does Ozelot stay a manageable size?

Thank you!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't have an ID for you, but it looks exactly the same as one I bought as a 'melon sword'.

Mine is in a 75 gallon high light/CO2 tank and I think I'm going to take it out because it's way too huge. For awhile the leaves were covering about a third of the surface of the tank. I've taken to trimming a leaf or two every week just so I can grow something underneath. I love the looks of the plant, but my tank would have to be another 2 feet taller to really keep it properly.

Just my experience though, maybe in a lower light tank it wouldn't grow so fast or as big and not be as much of a problem.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'm thinking of moving it to a low-med light 24" deep tank IF it will be big enough to use instead of an amazon which I know would be definitely too big. I was confused about ID because the photos I see online of melon swords seem to be the emersed version and the leaves are much rounder.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ya, when I bought it the leaves were rounder and looked like the pictures on the internet. Those didn't grow even a little after I bought it and now they look like your pictures. It's too bad, I really like the rounder leaves.

Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.