The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a compacta that is staying nice and short. It sent out a runner some time ago and I picked off the daughter plants and planted them. One in particular grew short leaves for a while but is now growing long leaves like a regular e. bleherae. Is this a regular thing and will this plant go back to having shorter leaves if it gets higher light?

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
So I have a compacta that is staying nice and short. It sent out a runner some time ago and I picked off the daughter plants and planted them. One in particular grew short leaves for a while but is now growing long leaves like a regular e. bleherae. Is this a regular thing and will this plant go back to having shorter leaves if it gets higher light?
one of the tank might have more or less co2 and fertilizers, this will make a big difference how the plant will appear.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
They are in the same tank probably about 15" apart if that is what you are talking about and also both have the same fertilizer tabs close to their base. The taller plant is closer to the side glass so it gets a little less light but I would guess its not that much difference in light levels.
light is what drive the co2 and fertilizer, if there is a light difference in those tanks then plants will also grow differently.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont believe there is that big a difference in light levels though. It was fine for a few months and was roughly the same size as the parent plant and stayed with short leaves then suddenly started to send out a long leaf here and there. Now its got the long leaves in the middle while the outer ones are the shorter ones. none of the leaves are dying off either.

If you are saying the longer leaves are due to lower light I would think the parent plant would also be showing signs of longer leaves because it is partially shaded by some other plants too. This is why I am a bit puzzled by this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.