The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago I purchased an Echino Nana, planted it, and it was doing great. A few days after that I was forced to rescape my tank. Since then the mature leaves have gone clear/transparent while the new leaves (which are growing FAST) are nice and green.

I love the plant and think it is doing well with the new growth. However, what do I do about the mature leaves? Do I leave them? They are kind of ugly in their state. Do I prune them? If so, what is the way to do that?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
you could prune them, it sounds like it had a small melt to me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what could have caused it to melt? I really just rescaped. What is the best method to prune them?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Sounds like your sword is in the transformation from the emersed growth into the submersed. During that time the old leaves will 'melt'. As the new growth is great there's no worry. I don't know Echinodorus 'Nana' (one pic on ebay looks like an Amazon sword to me) but the same technique of pruning should be fine as with the other swords. As the sword is so recently planted I'd use scissors to cut the leaves as near the crown as possible. Later with a well-established plant, you can just pull the leaves horizontally and maybe a bit skewed and they will come off. :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, thanks. Still new at this and still learning about melting.

By crown, you mean closest to the substrate? Like taking off the whole stem?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts