The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my EBRs from Tom, and when I got the shipment it looks like this little guy lost his dorsal fin in the shipping process. Tom told me to keep an eye on it but he hasn't improved in about 2 weeks. I just moved him to my quarantine tank to try and treat it. I currently dose Melafix. Is there any other recommendations?

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
as long as it doesn't get fungal it'll be fine. The fins should regrow with time, but using aquarium salt may speed it up a little (I haven't had experience with rams, but I have had this with other fish, and they got better).

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Previous post's indicate eight plus rams in 55 gal?
If so,perhaps the fish lost a portion of it's fin sparring with other Ram's.
I agree with perhaps twice weekly 30% water changes for a few week's or twice 50 % water changes.
Not a big fan of medicating fishes if at all possible.
Once purchased a young juvenile Green terror that was housed with breeding pair of Jewel cichlids ,and most of dorsal fin was missing.(jewel's had beat him/her up pretty good).
All I did was afore mentioned twice weekly water change's and offer quality food's, and within three month's,the fish looked none the worse and dorsal fin was nearly fully healed.
On unrelated note,I would remove the calcerous looking white rock from the tank lest it try to increase GH level's past what the ram's favor. (soft ,low hardness,low GH).
Platy's placed with the ram's (seen in photo's previous post's),do not share similar water chemistry as the Ram's.(platy's enjoy hard alkaline water,(most livebearer's)
Just sayin.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Previous post's indicate eight plus rams in 55 gal?
If so,perhaps the fish lost a portion of it's fin sparring with other Ram's.
I agree with perhaps twice weekly 30% water changes for a few week's or twice 50 % water changes.
Not a big fan of medicating fishes if at all possible.
Once purchased a young juvenile Green terror that was housed with breeding pair of Jewel cichlids ,and most of dorsal fin was missing.(jewel's had beat him/her up pretty good).
All I did was afore mentioned twice weekly water change's and offer quality food's, and within three month's,the fish looked none the worse and dorsal fin was nearly fully healed.
On unrelated note,I would remove the calcerous looking white rock from the tank lest it try to increase GH level's past what the ram's favor. (soft ,low hardness,low GH).
Platy's placed with the ram's (seen in photo's previous post's),do not share similar water chemistry as the Ram's.(platy's enjoy hard alkaline water,(most livebearer's)
Just sayin.
Well the ram came without his dorsal in the shipment bag so it happened during shipment. I do have 8 EBR plus 1 Gold Ram and 1 GBR so a total of 10 rams in my tank. They do play tough on each other, but I've added a lot of plants which I've noticed has been helping them stay off each other and find their own "home" and stay more protected. I am aware of Platys not being the best combo for Rams, those were some fish I already had in there before I became a member of this site and started learning more about fish chemistry and combos.

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
Does it look like it was cut? Cause I've had a pair of marbled cons before without dorsal fins. Had them for 2 years and they spawned several times. Sadly the fins never grew back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts