The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems there are quite a few CO2 regulators available on ebay .Has anyone ever bought 1 and found it to be worthwhile ? They seem to be priced more favorably than most others,is this due to a person with more volume pricing advantage for parts?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're going to need to be a little more specific as to what you're looking at. Lot's of stuff on fleebay is worthwhile. You need to know what to look for though.

the items that are called co2 regulators that look exactly like the ones that some people on this forum build.the pricing disparity is what raised my interest .

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
On the forum, when we think of the term 'regulator' we generalize a bunch of different pieces that have been put together. This will most often consist of the regulator, solenoid, needle valve, various pipe fittings, and bubble counter(sometimes).

On fleebay, you are generally just looking at a regulator that doesn't have all the components we need. Or... a cheaper, Chinese made unit that may or may not be worth the savings.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
On the forum, when we think of the term 'regulator' we generalize a bunch of different pieces that have been put together. This will most often consist of the regulator, solenoid, needle valve, various pipe fittings, and bubble counter(sometimes).

On fleebay, you are generally just looking at a regulator that doesn't have all the components we need. Or... a cheaper, Chinese made unit that may or may not be worth the savings.
+1
there are more involved: Tools, equipment, time, risk of getting defective parts, and most important- know how.

·
Registered
920 Posts
pretty sure most of the regulators you see here for sale came from [E]bay

you just need to look around. source the parts and put it together. oldpunk has a thread on building regulators.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

my Apple macbook pro was shipped from a Chinese factory and looks and works well after 3 years. BTW the ipads you see and are so nicely made are also from China.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
my Apple macbook pro was shipped from a Chinese factory and looks and works well after 3 years. BTW the ipads you see and are so nicely made are also from China.
Not everything from china is junk, but when comparing US made regulators to Chinese regulators, the Chinese regulators are not as solid as the US built ones.

·
Algae Grower
6,444 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I have nothing against the Chinese. There can however be some some major differences when it comes to regulators. Totally different kind of factory than where Apple products are produced.

I'm certainly not going to argue about it. Just stating a fact (that was: you may or may not be happy with what you get.)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
pretty sure most of the regulators you see here for sale came from [E]bay

you just need to look around. source the parts and put it together. oldpunk has a thread on building regulators.

Almost all of the regulators that I, bettatail, use oldpunk build and sell come from [Ebay Link Removed] Ebay is a great source for industrial bare regulators made in the US by (concoa, victor, matheson, harris, air products, linde, vwr, parker veriflo, airco, etc.)

When you search for CO2 regulator, you are getting the cheap chinese regulators. if you want a good us made, industrial reg, just search "gas regulator" it doesnt have to be made for co2, you can just switch the fitting.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
When you search for CO2 regulator, you are getting the cheap chinese regulators. if you want a good us made, industrial reg, just search "gas regulator" it doesnt have to be made for co2, you can just switch the fitting.

+1

also the reg you see selling cheap has to have another fitting because they wont fit our cylinders. As far as Regs go, I think to US standards

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.