The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I try to find all my own driftwood, but I couldn't pass this one up on *bay, I was the only bidder at .99 cents! lol
It looks like an animal skull, which is one of the reasons I was so attracted to it. It's 30" long, 14" - 15" tall, and I forgot to measure the depth but it's narrow enough to get in a 55. Two of the ends are hollow inwards up to 11".
I've never presoaked driftwood before, I've always simply plunked it in and weighed it down with rocks until it's waterlogged - but I have tons of time on my hands before I'll be using this piece - it will be at least two months before I have the tank up & running for it.
I have a rubbermaid-type tub it will fit in - can I soak it in that, covered, for so long a time outdoors, or will the heat from being outside cause it to rot/mold/get covered up in algae? To be close to my garden hose it would be under the shade of a crabapple tree, but it's still hot here - in the mid 80s. I can leave it soaking in the tub indoors if that's better, it just takes up so much room. It's a lot easier changing the water, outside! lol Speaking of which, how often should I change the water?
Also, do I soak it in water, or a water/hydrogen peroxide mix?
Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Cool looking piece of wood. I've always done straight water personally, and boiled if the pieces were small enough. I've also soaked my stuff indoors so don't know what the elements might do to it. I'd be sure to change the water frequently though just because even if covered, you don't know what might try to sneak through and lay eggs in stagnant water. I would change the water about every other day.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eewww! I have enough problems without mystery critters laying eggs. I have a second bathroom I don't use - it has a garden tub. I think it just became the designated soaker tub! lol

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep! The seller had two I really liked, but I bid on this one. Shipping was $13 and change - she charged only exact shipping. I feel bad for her in a way - it was more than 99 cents worth of effort just to box it up. I was broke at the time, or I would have bid on the other - no one did. Whe she relisted the non-sellers, she wised up & put a minimum bid on. (but only $9.99 - still well worth it). I really like how the hole is so big - 9" across & 7" tall. I envisioned small schooling fish like white clouds going through it.
This time I'm going to take my time setting up the tank. My first and second tanks are a 40b and a 55 - they are a messed up hodgepodge of rocks, plants, and level gravel, but each has a cool piece of driftwood. This 3rd tank will be planned better, with sloping hills and valleys directing the fish flow around the hardscape features. At least I hope that'll happen ; ) I have to make the stand for the 55 this is going into - that's what the holdup is. That and I need to get the new subflooring down & tiled before I set the tank up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Heh, people overthink this whole driftwood soaking thing. Just soak it outside in tap water until it sinks and stop worrying about it. Remember, it's been living out in the nature for years and years without anybody paying attention to it. If you're really worried about breeding mosquitos or other larvae (which won't hurt the driftwood any) add a small amount of bleach to the water. I'd just net the wrigglers and use them as a treat for fish, personally. If you use any bleach, replace the tub water and let it soak a day or two in unbleached water before you use it in your tank.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
Heh, people overthink this whole driftwood soaking thing. Just soak it outside in tap water until it sinks and stop worrying about it. Remember, it's been living out in the nature for years and years without anybody paying attention to it. If you're really worried about breeding mosquitos or other larvae (which won't hurt the driftwood any) add a small amount of bleach to the water. I'd just net the wrigglers and use them as a treat for fish, personally. If you use any bleach, replace the tub water and let it soak a day or two in unbleached water before you use it in your tank.
Absolutely perfect! Also if the piece browns the water from the tannins a lot just dump it out every few days and refill it. That will also help with mosquito larvae. Soaking DW can be like that infomercial "Set it and forget it" :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.