The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so... i've got about 3 berried mama's in my cbs/crs tank and im just curious if the following will prey on the babies.

oto's (im pretty sure they're shrimp safe from what i've read)
sparkle eye white clouds
scarlet badis

cause if they are.... they're leaving. like now.

thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
so... i've got about 3 berried mama's in my cbs/crs tank and im just curious if the following will prey on the babies.

oto's (im pretty sure they're shrimp safe from what i've read)
sparkle eye white clouds
scarlet badis

cause if they are.... they're leaving. like now.

thanks! :D
Badis will, not 100% sure if white clouds will

·
Registered
689 Posts
yeah man shrimp = food to any fish really. Fish are opportunistic by nature. Your otos will not bother them though. You could have shrimplets crawling all over an oto's face and that oto would just sit there lookin' all tarded.

minnows will eat them BUT not hunt them which IMO makes a difference. Your badis however comes from the perch family and it may have a small mouth but shrimp, for the most part, are tiny and once that badis gets a taste for them it will hunt them down and consider them a common food source.

Hope that helps man,
Abe

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats pretty much every fish, especially when the shrimp are newly hatched
hahaha... yea, that's what i thought too. the thing about the badis is, i thought since they're nano fish, and finicky about what they eat... they'd not be a harm to the babies.

on the other hand.. i think i'll move the sparkle eye white clouds today. those guys are pretty voracious with my flakes :D

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
hahaha... yea, that's what i thought too. the thing about the badis is, i thought since they're nano fish, and finicky about what they eat... they'd not be a harm to the babies.

on the other hand.. i think i'll move the sparkle eye white clouds today. those guys are pretty voracious with my flakes :D
Yup, comes down in nature, they don't eat flakes twice a day at the same time, they eat what they can find. Small bugs that fall into the water, small bugs and shrimp that live in the water, anything they can find swimming around their mouth, is game in nature and the same happens in a fish tank but its a even smaller volume of water than a stream, lake, river, etc and their prey has less of a chance of geting away or hiding.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I've had shrimp with white clouds before, and they happily coexisted... i can't say that the white clouds didn't pick a few babies off, but its not like there were no babies that made it to adulthood either. I've never kept badis, so i can't speak to them. Granted if i had fish in a barebottom with shrimp, i doubt the shrimp would've made it, but yeah.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks getochkn, and redfalcon.. i think just to be safe, ill take them all out.
this is my first batch of babies with crs/cbs so im kinda excited and hoping for the best!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.