The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Edit: There is now a full photo guide for this Here

hey guys three weeks ago I started a diy wabi-kusa so i thought i would show you all how it turned out!
I used a ball of river mud with a jbl sevenball in the center, then i planted it out and tied moss around it, set it in a bowl of water and sand, turned a light on it... et viola!
I have had really great growth, with unknown plants popping up everywere!

edit: im thinking a couple of aquatic frogs would go nice in there? will they be ok?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
wow, didn't know that.
what if he put some kind of cover/tube over it, then he could get some spring peeper tree frogs, or something of the sort.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
hi i like that very nice, i need you to tell me every step please =D i really like it

so let me get this straight, you walked to a lake pulled some mud out, bot a ball applied the mud all over the ball,,, put some moss on there, got a bowl filled with gravel and plants grow out of the mud without adding any seeds?

wth?

And didnt the mud slide off the ball?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
i know right that looks so awesome i jus made my own took couple hours to install a light in top of my desk nad make the bowl but i have no idea where to get river mud with unknown plants everywhere

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey guys im so pleased you like it!
there has been substantial growth since i took the picture so i will post a pic later!

heres how to do it, i will do another one in a bit and take a photo every step ;)

go down to your local stream and bring the tools you need and a board to work on

Ingrediants:
substrate ferilizer tab or ball (i used a JBL 7 ball)
suitable bowl or container
light (I used a cheap 1.99 ikea lamp)
Scissors
Tweezers
Cotton
Board to work on
Terrestrial plant ferteliser (optional, might have some in your garage?)
Trowel

Instructions:
The best way to build theese is on location.
ok the main thing about this is the substrate, I used some mud from right beside my local stream, Use your hands to squish it into a palm sized ball.
Take your root tab or fert ball and push it to the center then re-squeeze the ball. Find a relatively flat surface to work on and put down your board, press the ball down onto it so the bottom becomes flat.

First things first, moss, look around you for as many different types as you can find and wrap them around the sides of the ball, then wind your cotton around them to secure them and tie it off.

Now you need to think about you center peice, it should be quite tall and slow growing, I used a bamboo like grass plant, but you may be able to find a sapling (rowan works well) use your tweesers to plant it.

Next thing is some fast midground plants, look around the edge of the water for some quite small plants, that look cool, dig them out carefully and plant naturally around the center peice.

Finally foreground, ive used some really tiny hc like plants and some stone roses which i found in a rockery, just use them to patch the gaps between the plants so you can see no mud, thats it! your done, take it home and put in a bowl with a sandy bottom and focus a light on it, or put it by a window.

Additional tips: some of the plants you will plant will start to wither and die, just pull them out and go hunting for a replacement in your garden. A nice addition to the wabi-kusa is floating plants, which i have atm in mine.

to sum up:
Collect tools
Dig up some mud
Squeeze into ball
insert the ferts
Wrap with moss
Plant a centerpeice
Midground Fastgrowers
Ground Cover
Put it in a pot

thanks for listening guys :)
i wish you all good luck with your own foray into wabi-kusa

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
Dude you are in Florida, you have a multitude of plants available to you.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Dude you are in Florida, you have a multitude of plants available to you.
Good point. My parents would think I am crazy if I asked them to make a 30 minute trip to the Everglades so I can pick out some aquatic plants :D

Maybe when I get my 27 gallon tank I can go there for kayaking (we bought a kayak today) and pick some plants :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.