The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Recently I had some thoughts about getting a new tank to replace my current setup which is a 33 long. It's very easy to maintain. Obviously though, due to sheer water volume, you really can't go all out with stocking it. A couple small schools of fish like 15 each and your done lol

I had thought about upgrading to another setup. I had two thoughts. Something that was still easy to maintain compared to something much larger like a 75 and is around 40-55 gallons, but has a lot more water volume.

My first thoughts were a 40 breeder as they are really more closer to 45-47 gallons I believe. That would give me at least an extra 15 gallons of water volume for more stocking.
But... then I would have to purchase another stand, light etc. A 55 gallon would also give a bit more volume as well and I could use the same stand and equipment. A little bit trickier to maintain though given it's height. I also thought about a 40 long, but they really aren't that much larger than a 33 long. My wife would also tell me to move out if I got any tanks bigger than a 65 I'm pretty sure lol so before anyone says a 75, 90, 125... not gonna work lol

If there's any other tanks that would be thrown in this category, let me know!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Hello all. Recently I had some thoughts about getting a new tank to replace my current setup which is a 33 long. It's very easy to maintain. Obviously though, due to sheer water volume, you really can't go all out with stocking it. A couple small schools of fish like 15 each and your done lol

I had thought about upgrading to another setup. I had two thoughts. Something that was still easy to maintain compared to something much larger like a 75 and is around 40-55 gallons, but has a lot more water volume.

My first thoughts were a 40 breeder as they are really more closer to 45-47 gallons I believe. That would give me at least an extra 15 gallons of water volume for more stocking.
But... then I would have to purchase another stand, light etc. A 55 gallon would also give a bit more volume as well and I could use the same stand and equipment. A little bit trickier to maintain though given it's height. I also thought about a 40 long, but they really aren't that much larger than a 33 long. My wife would also tell me to move out if I got any tanks bigger than a 65 I'm pretty sure lol so before anyone says a 75, 90, 125... not gonna work lol

If there's any other tanks that would be thrown in this category, let me know!
Generally 3 options, rimmed aquariums, rimless aquariums, custom made aquariums. If going rimmed then you have only a few sized tanks between a 40 breeder and a 65 gallon. If going rimless you have a few more options from various brands but generally speaking it sounds like you are describing a 90P, or at a stretch a 90U or 120S. Custom clearly can be anything you want but you will pay for it.

If it were me, I'd go for the 90U or if you really want the shallower tank, a 120S but keep in mind evaporation is very much a THING in a tank like that. BUT The Wife factor is not to be underestimated. I'd get out a tape measure and show her the dimensions on a table so she can give the ok before springing for a purchase.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
From my own personal experience and having a hubby that tolerated my cichlid breeding program for years the cheapest most available (probably find one for free if you check local message boards) would be a 40b. This was the only tank I kept to keep a hobby tank. If $ isn't an option I'd say go rimless and do a 90p, or if you can find one cheap I'd pick that over the 40b for your particular situation. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't care for rimless tanks personally. Seapora used to make a 45 gallon frag tank which I think would be awesome. Dimensions are 48x18x12. I think that would be sweet! But the only one they make of it now are a rimless, reef ready setup...

Marineland used to make a tank a long time ago called a 34 gallon. It was 30x18x16. Not really more volume.. But I think that would be a neat tank.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I don't care for rimless tanks personally. Seapora used to make a 45 gallon frag tank which I think would be awesome. Dimensions are 48x18x12. I think that would be sweet! But the only one they make of it now are a rimless, reef ready setup...
40b- easiest of the lot to clean and access with more surface area and decent enough depth to grow most plants and length enough for schoolers to swim. Regular 40 gallons are too short to keep a lot of active schoolers and the larger gallon sizes are less accessible because of depth. That's just my 2 cents, though.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The easiest tank I have ever had to manage was my 33 long due to the height. The biggest issue I run into with a 40b is the cost for the stand. I buy my stands and it would cost 240 dollars at my LFS alone for a 40b stand. I also think a 30 breeder is a nice size, but no difference in water volume. I also tend to like longer tanks. The longer the better IMO. I don't care about the depth.

I also considered doing a custom 45 tank. Or possibly another custom sized tank. a 48x18x16 tank would be pretty cool. Seapora used to make a 60 "regular" also. it was like 48x15x16

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
My brain didn't register the stand part of the conversation, sorry. You might be able to find a stand through message boards for a lot cheaper, but I get it a far as the spouse thing goes and the spending. I honestly have most of my tanks on reinforced utility tables but that's ugly as all heck. I hope you can find what you're looking for. Honestly I don't see the difference between what you have now and a tall 40 gallon other than the ability to keep a couple angel fish, that's really all the height will give you.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stand situation is an issue due to my 3 year old son. I need an actual secure stand. One that fits into the stand essentially, and not just sitting flat right on top. I have this already with my current 33 long. It's the only kind of stand I am allowed to use. And this is in our living room anyways, so it has to look presentable. I am not sure what tall 40 gallon tank you are speaking of. A 40 long? That's the only 40 gallon tank that shares my stand's footprint.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Have you thought about cinder blocks and 2x4s for the stand? You can dress it up with paint or cloth, but they really can't be beat for sturdiness. That might open up more options for tank size...

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's the only kind of stand I am allowed to use. And this is in our living room anyways, so it has to look presentable.
Have you thought about cinder blocks and 2x4s for the stand? You can dress it up with paint or cloth, but they really can't be beat for sturdiness. That might open up more options for tank size...

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
For a 40B stand is pretty straight forward. Get a Petco Brooklyn Metal stand. They are very sturdy and for a rimmed tank will work quite well. You can attach them to the wall by drilling them. I modified mine quite a bit to hold other sized tanks and to enclose the bottom, but these are pretty easy modifications to make. If you get a hardware store like lowes or home depot do the wood cutting, you could make the whole thing with nothing but a drill, and a couple of drill bits by way of tools.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Do you have specific ideas in mind for what you want to stock in this tank or do you just want more space to play in? Have you considered getting a second smaller tank instead of getting a bigger primary tank? Yes, obviously you'll have to get more equipment, but there are a lot of cheap options for smaller tanks.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The 40B is 40 gallons but there is a 50B that is a 40B but 19 inches high instead of 16 inches high. The extra height is useful if you keep taller fishes like angels. Generally i prefer deep tanks the 40B is only 18 inches deep (better than a 20 long but still if you go custom a tank that is 48 inches deep is kind of nice - lots of foreground/background for plants ;)

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The 40B is 40 gallons but there is a 50B that is a 40B but 19 inches high instead of 16 inches high. The extra height is useful if you keep taller fishes like angels. Generally i prefer deep tanks the 40B is only 18 inches deep (better than a 20 long but still if you go custom a tank that is 48 inches deep is kind of nice - lots of foreground/background for plants ;)
When typing in the dimensions online, the Aqueon 40 breeder comes out to 47 gallons. I have had a tank that was similar to the 50 breeder before but a little bit taller and I hated it. If I was going to do a breeder style tank, it would be either the 30 or 40.

And also, I plan on doing several groups of small schooling fish. White clouds, tetras, guppies etc.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
When I was doing consult and set up my suggestion for those looking to keep multiple groups of schoolers like you're describing was to stick with a length of 36 inches or more, depth was more dependent on plants and hardscapes. Most schoolers stick to middle areas of the water column anyways so length and thickness of the tank make more of a difference than height in them maneuvering around. If cories or other surface air grabbing bottom dwellers are on your list of wants I wouldn't go too deep. Just my 2 cents, again, based on what it seems you're trying to accomplish. Hope it finds you well!!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Depth is a bit overloaded here - in most charts of aquarium sizes it frequently refers to the distance from front to back while height refers to top to bottom....

I personally prefer width for front to back - so pretty clueless why these charts are using depth.

When I was doing consult and set up my suggestion for those looking to keep multiple groups of schoolers like you're describing was to stick with a length of 36 inches or more, depth was more dependent on plants and hardscapes. Most schoolers stick to middle areas of the water column anyways so length and thickness of the tank make more of a difference than height in them maneuvering around. If cories or other surface air grabbing bottom dwellers are on your list of wants I wouldn't go too deep. Just my 2 cents, again, based on what it seems you're trying to accomplish. Hope it finds you well!!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Depth is a bit overloaded here - in most charts of aquarium sizes it frequently refers to the distance from front to back while height refers to top to bottom....

I personally prefer width for front to back - so pretty clueless why these charts are using depth.
Depth comes in handy when you need to adjust PAR. Or if you are looking to keep angels lol. I have come to dread deep tanks as I have a 3 foot tall 9 foot long tank with 5 goldfish and 4 hornpout that requires a 30% change every week. Wish they'd make a 9 footer that's shorter. I prefer a depth of <20 inches, so much easier to work with.

·
Registered
767 Posts
But are you talking about distance from front to back or top to bottom ;)
-
I like height for top to bottom since it can't be ambiguous !

With regards to par one could be talking about distance par but you have distance both from off center angle as well as height - for ease of management one could talk about reach to bottom or reach to middle - so much ambiguity.

Depth comes in handy when you need to adjust PAR. Or if you are looking to keep angels lol. I have come to dread deep tanks as I have a 3 foot tall 9 foot long tank with 5 goldfish and 4 hornpout that requires a 30% change every week. Wish they'd make a 9 footer that's shorter. I prefer a depth of <20 inches, so much easier to work with.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.