The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
Oh i forgot to add, but stem plants are what i'm looking for.
Thanks!
Hi Requality,

Ludwigia sp. 'Rubin' ('Red') will stay red with or without CO2.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Limnophila aromatica, cambomba red, ludwigia arcuata, rotala colourata. These i find easy to keep red. Nice one but needs allot of light iand iron is rotala macranda. yeah im still scouting forammannia gracilis. Not that easy to get here

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really would love to get my hands on some Ludwigia sp. Red or Ammannia Garcilis. My rotala colourata and Ludwigia are light pink, i can never get them to be that intense red while my rotala macranada just kinda withered away due to the delicate nature of their leaves.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is there anywhere else on the forum with an "easy red plants list" sort of discussion? I know we have a "low light" list, why not a "red plant" one? Because I'm mostly just replying so I can keep these suggestions handy for the future ;)

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah a list would be great.

@Blazingwolf i know that intense lights causes red plants but are there plants that don't require that. Most of my red plants turn a pinkish green eventually. D;

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Yeah a list would be great.

@Blazingwolf i know that intense lights causes red plants but are there plants that don't require that. Most of my red plants turn a pinkish green eventually. D;
is this because they get closer to the light? or because they are diminishing in nitrates?

ludwigia sp. red stays mostly red because its light requirements are less,, thrown in my 10 gallon with very little lights, its greenish orange
in my 29 gallon with nuke lights its kinda purplish red

plants react with color to light. there is very little else that stimulates them coloring wise. nutrients can affect them, but light is the key

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
is this because they get closer to the light? or because they are diminishing in nitrates?

ludwigia sp. red stays mostly red because its light requirements are less,, thrown in my 10 gallon with very little lights, its greenish orange
in my 29 gallon with nuke lights its kinda purplish red

plants react with color to light. there is very little else that stimulates them coloring wise. nutrients can affect them, but light is the key
I'd probably choose the lighting since i dose about 10 ppm of nirates every other day. I also dose extra iron when i dose cbm. I think it's just the plants i have just don't get that intense red that i wanted.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
As stated above, Rotala sp colorata is supposed to be a very easy red plant. I could never get it to be anything but green. Far from "colorata" :confused1:

L. repens is a pretty low maintenance plant. And arcuata as well. Ammania tends to be a bit fussier, IME.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'd probably choose the lighting since i dose about 10 ppm of nirates every other day. I also dose extra iron when i dose cbm. I think it's just the plants i have just don't get that intense red that i wanted.

ludwigia repends is hard to get red.. VERY HARD.. lots and lots and lots of light. i did it once just for fun, but it almost nuked my tank with algae in 3 days

otherwise, under decently strong lighting, i'll turn kinda pink

1 - 18 of 18 Posts