The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love red leaf plants. It brings contrast to the tank.

BUT, my latest red leaf plant seems to grow well, but all the new shoots are greennnn...

My light is medium... i got diy co2.. liquid ferts..

Is there any hardy/easy to grow red leaf plants??

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a couple cuttings of alternanthera in my 29 gal and they are doing great.

setup is Pea gravel, with floramax underneath, low-medium light, EI dosing with Excel.

Alternanthera reineckii var. 'roseafolia' to be exact, common name is telanthera

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
It hurts me a bit to do it, but I'm going to have to raise the bull crap flag.

That Macrandra you posted isn't terrible looking, but it's a bit washed out and yellow. Also, you only showed a picture of the top 2" or so. What does it look like when it isn't 4" from the bulb? Are the leaves near the bottom still red in your "low light" tank? A gravel line picture would shut me up.

I am very, very, very experienced with growing red Macrandra, and at low light it will always go green. I have experimented with growing it under high light, low light, medium light, high iron, low iron, high nitrate, low nitrate.

You're correct. It's easy to grow, but most of the time it doesn't stay very red unless it's under a decent amount of light.

Nice, deep red Macrandra requires good light and heavy CO2 injection. 26W of flourescent bulbs over a 12" tall tank is not low light. It's fairly high light. Enough to get the sort of Macrandra you posted a pic of at least.

We don't do anyone a service by bragging about our plants, or skewing the truth.

Macrandra never has, and never will look very red in a low light tank. It just isn't how it works with this particular plant.

I really don't like misinformation. Especially when it is obviously intentional.

People on this forum come here looking for good advice. Anything we post that is untrue lowers the credibility of this forum.

We owe it to anyone who asks a question on this forum to give them the best information possible, and pass on the knowledge we have obtained from years of experience without ego or posturing. These things don't do anyone any good.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Red variations of Ludwigia are easy to grow.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.