The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to plan out my 120g stock list and trying to find about half a dozen stem plants that are readily available (online preferably) in large enough numbers that I can fill them in at one time (hard to do in a 120g with 4 or 5 stems at a time) that are fairly easy to grow. Looking for some contrasting colors and leaf patterns.

So far I have plenty of rotala rotundifolia and ludwigia repens and they have been doing well. Looking at some "purple cobomba" as well. Anyone have a good list they've already put some thought into? I'm scouring the internets and people threads and trying to learn scientific names and then look up their requirements.

Appreciate any help.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hygrophila, Vallisneria and Bacopa species have a good amount of low/medium easy plants in them.

If you go into Low Tech Forum on here, the first thing you'll see is a list of low light plant species. I haven't read the whole thread but there may be a stem plants section.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I really find Bacopa caroliniana attractive and a good grower. I have a whole section in my 75 that is Bacopa caroliniana. Same with Ludwigia repens. Mine is starting to turn red at the tops. Good grower and nice looking as well in my opinion.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I don't have a list but from the surprises of my tank:

My stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia) is a very fast grower for me and I'm not using CO2 additives in any form. I'm keeping mine cut low, but it would get quite tall if allowed. From what I've read, it does very well in high-tech setups too. I also find it an attractive plant to boot. It was part of a package I got from another TPT member and one I would have never purchased otherwise, but I'm really happy to have this plant in my tank.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hygrophila, Vallisneria and Bacopa species have a good amount of low/medium easy plants in them.

If you go into Low Tech Forum on here, the first thing you'll see is a list of low light plant species. I haven't read the whole thread but there may be a stem plants section.
Thank you for the info. My vals are growing exponentially now in my tank setup as a lowtech. I wasn't specifically looking for "low light" stem plants just ones that may be a little more forgiving of water conditions, ferts, etc. as I am pretty new to everything. Looks like there are some nice stem plants in that section regardless. Again, thanks.

I really find Bacopa caroliniana attractive and a good grower. I have a whole section in my 75 that is Bacopa caroliniana. Same with Ludwigia repens. Mine is starting to turn red at the tops. Good grower and nice looking as well in my opinion.
Thank you, I will certainly be looking at it when it is time to order. I'm having good luck with L. repens in my tank now without CO2 or ferts. Luckly for me the Ludwigia grows down here naturally and i just pulled a walmart bag full out of the ditch today :)

My stargrass (Heteranthera zosterifolia) is a very fast grower for me and I'm not using CO2 additives in any form. I'm keeping mine cut low, but it would get quite tall if allowed. From what I've read, it does very well in high-tech setups too. I also find it an attractive plant to boot. It was part of a package I got from another TPT member and one I would have never purchased otherwise, but I'm really happy to have this plant in my tank.
I looked it up and I do like that as well. Appreciate the idea, I will have to check it out a little more closely when I start ordering plants.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Thank you for sharing Melika. I'm lookin for some for my tank now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.