The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some good fish for beginner breeders to start breeding?

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Guppies and most livebearers. I got some wild type ones in from Japan a bit less than a week ago and I think the female's preggers already.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
My first purposeful attempt was with gold german rams. I had a clutch of eggs which were eaten then my male killed the female and the male died of an unknown cause.

Now I just let things happen. Recently I've only had 1 successful breeding and that was with glowlight tetras. I had 8 one day and a month later I had 9.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Most of the livebearers are super easy (guppies, swordtails, platties). Just put males and females in the same tank and you will get young. Remove the young or have hiding places if you want to keep the young, otherwise the parents may eat them. Kribs are also very easy to breed, and the parents will raise them for a while. I have bred the regular krib, pelvicachromis pulcher, as well as the more expensive pelvicachromis taeniatus "kieke". My pair of kienke will parent raise until they are ready to spawn again, then they will chase off the young. Interesting behavior, and less work for the breeder since the fish protects the young. Convict cichlids are also easy to breed.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, I wasn't looking for super easy fish to breed :icon_smil Maybe something with a good strong market, so they will sell fairly easily for a good price. But still good for beginners.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Convicts will spawn in the bag on the way home. :wink:

And they are a lot more fun to watch than guppies, if you don't mind a reign of terror and you tank looking like the morning after a Rugby party.

:biggrin::biggrin:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Guppies, any livebearers. Add some salt, raise the temp a bit and they go mad. Any african cichlid pair will breed like crazy. Convicts breed like mice as well. I want to say corydoras cats but mine always go back and eat their eggs.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Mollys and platys are dead easy. Add some cold water to the change and give 'em a little depression in the substrate you'll get 8-12 at a time. The LFS still sells for 2-3$ a pop! :icon_wink Tiger and Green Barbs need black water but are pretty easy too once you've got the water right.

·
Registered
115 Posts
@ Samster - I always found that adding cold water got 'em going. You found warm water helped? Maybe my gals were already pregnant and the cold water correlated with the births?

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Pelvicachromis pulcher, clean water, dense plants, spawning cave, and they will give you 50 to 80 fry 2 to 4 times per year.

I haven't had any livebearers since I was a kid but I do remember Guppies being really easy to breed, I don't remember the tank having anything in it but fish, not even a filter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.