The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my easiest and most enjoyable water change of all time last night on my 90 gallon! :)

I bought a 45 gallon trash bin from Home Depot that came with a top. I have been filling it with RO water from my 5 gallon RO system since Saturday. A line runs directly from the RO system to the trash bin so all I have to do is turn on the RO every few hours. Once it was full, I was ready to go.

I used the 50 ft. Python to cyphon 40 gallons out of my tank. The python hosed went directly into our garden so the fish waste was great for the roses and flowers.

Once I had the water out, I plugged in a pool pump I got from Home Depot that was connected to a hose and ran it from the trash bin to the tank.

Took about 15 minutes and I didn't have to lift a bucket!! A guy could get used to this : )

I know this isn't a new process or anything, but it was cool to finally automate things a bit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
When you run the waste water out to your garden, do you have it coming out of the tubing into one area or do you go out and spray it around?

I've thought about getting a rain barrel and putting my waste water in there so that I can use it to water my plants around the house.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you run the waste water out to your garden, do you have it coming out of the tubing into one area or do you go out and spray it around?

I've thought about getting a rain barrel and putting my waste water in there so that I can use it to water my plants around the house.
Usually I just let it drain into one area and kind of spread itself out. Last night was an exception though, my toddler (3 years old) was watering the plants for me with it lol. He was "helping" dad.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Well done. It's probably the best investment you'll ever make in the hobby. The easier you make things, the more time you can spend just enjoying the hobby.

I made the painful decision to move my fish room to the opposite corner of the house. 30 tanks. Extremely painful. but every step of the process is geared to making it easier and even more convenient to maintain.

SwissCheeseHead, the rain barrels work really well. I connected 3 rubbermaid brutes so they all fill at the same time and it just about meets what I need in the garden (a BIG garden) during the active gardening season. Yet another investment.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Well done. It's probably the best investment you'll ever make in the hobby. The easier you make things, the more time you can spend just enjoying the hobby.

I made the painful decision to move my fish room to the opposite corner of the house. 30 tanks. Extremely painful. but every step of the process is geared to making it easier and even more convenient to maintain.

SwissCheeseHead, the rain barrels work really well. I connected 3 rubbermaid brutes so they all fill at the same time and it just about meets what I need in the garden (a BIG garden) during the active gardening season. Yet another investment.

I'll have to consider that! Sure beats $100 on a rain barrel kit...but it's not as fancy looking lol

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Has anyone ever installed or thought about installing a spigot on a discreet side of the tank for water changes?
Drilling tanks isn't all that scientific, but drilling as close to an edge for what you're thinking of may not be all that safe. Not saying it hasn't or can't be done though.

I have a few tanks that sit very low and siphoning as much water as I need to just takes too long. I keep a Maxijet powerhead handy with a length of vinyl hoes on the output and the screen firmly in place. Something to consider instead. You could lead it to a bucket, sink or window possibly.

Another piece of "convenience" I discovered are remote outlet controllers. I keep that Maxijet plugged into one of those controllers and I can shut it off remotely instead of having to run to unplug it. I've had them for years now, and really cheap on Amazon. None of the box stores sell them except during the holidays so you can control outdoor lights, etc. But they cost 3 times as much. They've become a lifesaver in my fish room.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.