The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone can share how they do partial water changes for smaller tanks, picking up the 17gallon Mr. Aqua version of the 60p. With a canister filter is the easiest way to set up a T connector with valves on each of the 3 sides?

Can anyone share some photos with me to explain how you have it set up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't have any pictures but i just drain the water using the canister filters own inlet hose.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
A 1gal ice cream bucket dipped into the tank, pulled out, tossed out the window. Refill the bucket, pour into the tank and your done. It's a real small tank, no need for hoses or anything fancy or costly.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i have a sunsun. i use the quick shutoff valve and unhook the plug from my cannister bring up a few 5 gallon buckets and drain..
also if im in a hurry and dont have time to backwash the pipes i have a 3/4 inner diameter piece of pvc hooked up to 3/4 polyvinyl tubing. it drains 15 gallons in under 2 minutes

NOT that with a 17 gallon you want to do that... but its an option :) WAYYY overkill
the cannister drain version takes about 1 min for 5 gallons

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I agree gravel vac or Python equivalent would be easiest. 17g is a little big for emptying into buckets. If you have easy access out a window, or into a sink, gravel vac would be fine. Python, or equivalent would be easy if you have a sink handy for both empty and refill.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts

4:30 for drain and refill for 60% on a 17 gal tank.

No buckets where harmed. End attached to tank, then drain where ever you wish, then attach to shower head to refill with warm water.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hmmm, suppose maybe I am overthinking it... was just trying to figure out a way to minimize spillage. The tank is going to be next to a couch in our living room so the more I can do to keep things clean the better.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I just use a regular old Python with a vaccuum tube, plantbrain's tube is great if you want to walk away and not empty the tank but I do a light vacuum, trim, & clean while the water is low.

My 50% is 62.5 gallons or so and it takes 45 minutes or better for me to drain the water so I just leave the tube in the tank and check on it every 10 minutes or so. If you don't have the tap water running to assit the vacuum the water drains very, very, slowly.

But if your one of those guys that sits down and before you know it, your taking a nap then plantbrain's configuration is the best. Most fish really hate when we nap during a water change!!!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I use something similar to Tom's. The hose goes out the front door and the new water is in a 55g drum on wheels just outside the door. The drum is filled with the right amount of tap & RO water so it won't overfill the tank. Since the siphon is slow it takes me 25 minutes to drain and fill the tank. It's fail safe since I use the drum and not the tap so I can have beverages during the process. lol

I used the same sort of thing for my SW tank for almost 20 years but the drain hose had to be 50 feet longer.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks for posting that Hoppy.
looks like I could upgrade my similar contraption.

BTW... I can do a 50% WC on a 75 gal, a 55 gal and a 40 gallon in 40 minutes
I use 3/4 inch dischage hose - stuffed into the downspount of a gutter on a second floor deck. The larger diameter helps a lot

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.