The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to move in a few months and will be breaking down my 3 neo shrimp tanks. I won't be getting rid of them, but I will be putting in new susbstrates when I get them started back up again and they are planted to a pretty decent level, so need something suited for plants also. They have been going for about 4yrs.

I have been using STS in two of the tanks and it has worked with absolutely no issue, but I want something that looks a tad better. The other tank has eco-complete.

Haven't picked where I am going yet so don't know what ph/gh/kh levels I will be dealing with. I really want to start looking and possibly buying what I need now to get a little ahead of things. Also moving 2-125s and a 75, so as much advance planning as I can do will help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Aquasoil can't really go wrong with that. Requires some extra time for cycling because the soil leeches ammonia to provide hassle free cycling.

What are your parameters atm?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
aqua soil and neo's dont really mix it buffers the water to low for neos to be really happy. i say go with aquarium sand or pool filter sand. play sand is to fine and tends to compact alot. what ever you choose you will need to cycle the tank again before shrimp go back in

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Black diamond blasting sand or pool filter sand works great for neocaridina. If you want to keep your rooted plants happy, use some root tabs.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Yea for neos I would use eco or an inert substrate. Aqua soil isnt great for them because it buffers the water too low for them, I have and still keep some in there but they dont breed as much as the others.

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
Black diamond blasting sand or pool filter sand works great for neocaridina. If you want to keep your rooted plants happy, use some root tabs.
+ 1 on black diamond or eco complete.
Black Diamond blasting "sand" all the way! It can use a bit of rinsing first (but all substrates seem to), inert, easy to plant in, cheap as hell (as long as you can get locally, shipping costs kill the savings) can be found at Tractor Supply Company.

All but my 55 aquaponic and 10g holding tank have black diamond substrate, love it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts