The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a low tech tank that i want to add plants to.it is a 10g that i am going to put cherry shrimp in. all i have for it is a simple corner filter and a decent light. and i want plants that are fairly simple. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Java moss and java fern are idiot-proof and can grow easily in low lighting. Shrimps love to forage through the moss too!

Cryptocoryne wendtii, anubias, and vallisneria are a step above moss and fern, but they're still very easy and add some interesting texture for your scape.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
+1 on java moss and java fern. They grow well in low light; fern grows slower than the moss IME. I have had great luck with Brazilian Pennywort in low light; it grows fast. Leaves can be pretty big for a 10 gallon though.

·
Registered
96 Posts
All great suggestions already, so had to think a moment to come up with another. Myriophyllum mattogrossense is super easy and will grow planted or floating in all kinds of conditions. I've got some of this in both my high tech, and in my little ancient low tech Eclipse tank. Leaves have a nice shape to them too which gives a different look.

Myriophyllum mattogrossense - Matogrosso milfoil - Flowgrow Aquatic Plant Database

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I have Cabomba, Christmas moss, Wisteria and some crypts. Low light no ferts all growing well. I prefer this Christmas moss over java. Its brighter and IMO nicer looking. This is in a 10g RCS tank.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I forgot about African water fern (I think there is a mini variety), anacharis (not legal to ship to some states), valisneria (would need a smaller one like corkscrew val and they love hard water), and lots of crypts. Dwarf water lilly (nymphae stellata) has also done well for me in low light, but it would definitely be the focal point plant in a 10 gallon; red color is fun though. I have also grown swords in low light; not sure what ones would stay small enough for a 10 gallon.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've not had good luck with Bolbitus (African fern) because I believe it likes riverine and immersed conditions, and grows extremely slow. But it might have also been my water conditions.

Most of the mosses Java, Xmas, Willow, and the SE Asian ferns related to Java fern all do great for low tech beginner tanks. Not too many stem plants work in lower light conditions, although Rotala Indica/Rotundifolia will persist in medium light with a little CO2. Likes softer water, higher light levels, and added iron ferts.

Crypts pretty much like a substrate with high humus levels like a Walstadt or demineralized topsoil substrate. They'll grow in normal aquarium gravels, but do better if the gravel has been in a tank for ages and has lots of mulm, muck and fine particles. Not going to happen with a new tank.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I find Java fern is indeed idiot proof, and if you want something more interesting looking, then the lace and trident varieties are pretty neat. They have grown abundantly for me in tanks with no lights at all, though lights do make them happy.

Also, miramo balls tend to collect all the uneaten food in my tank, and consequently get "grazed on" by the smaller inhabitants, so your shrimp should love those.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.