The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want some fish to breed in my tank so i decided to go out and buy 2 female and 1 male guppies. That didn't work out too well as they all died within a day or two of them being purchased. I still want fish that will easily breed in a 10g but I don't know what to choose.

Please give me suggestions.

Thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
I really want some fish to breed in my tank so i decided to go out and buy 2 female and 1 male guppies. That didn't work out too well as they all died within a day or two of them being purchased. I still want fish that will easily breed in a 10g but I don't know what to choose.

Please give me suggestions.

Thanks
I take it you know not to buy fish from Walmart now right?
Next is to get some fish that breed nicely but may not overrun the 10 gallon size (unless your planning on culling) heavily?

Go with some quality platy's 1 male and 1 or 2 females of what ever color morph your into. (My personal favs are the Brick Red Wagtails or the Marigold).:proud:

Good quality fish are in need of good quality water also so be sure that "ALL" your tanks params are OK first before buying more "cannon fodder". If anything is out of wack change the water 50%-75% a few days before buying then again test just before adding to make sure things are stable.

Here's some good places to go for livebearers:

http://www.deltaguppies.com/ for guppies
http://www.aquabid.com/ for lots of other including platys and guppies
http://www.guppies.com/forums/ for info on guppies if needed
http://www.showguppies.com/ and more guppies

GD

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Endlers. I ended up separating the males and females in my 5.5g because they were breeding too quickly.

Heck, I sent some to California and they had babies on the way there. Pretty hardy fish.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have 2 platies but i don't think that they are opposite sex as they have not bred, but I am not sure. If someone could sex them for me that would be great.
heres one:

heres the other:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The top one looks like a female and the bottom one looks like a male. You can tell by the point between the anal fins. Look closely and you can tell pretty easily. The male will be the one with the point. Give them time and they will breed.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I already have 2 platies but i don't think that they are opposite sex as they have not bred, but I am not sure. If someone could sex them for me that would be great.QUOTE]

Brick Red Wagtails!!! Cool!!!

The bottom picture could be a male as the Anal fin (single fin on the bottom by the Anus) looks like it might be "pointy". The other is definitely a Female as the same fin is a full fin shape.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can tell by the point between the anal fins.
Actually the three fins on the fishes body are: 1 Anal fin, which turns into a gonopodium for the males reproductive system. 2 matching fins in front of the anal fin are called "Ventral" fins (not to be too Anal about it...:icon_bigg

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shouldn't they have already mated by then, or should I get more.
how many more?
what male to female ratio?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
they don't seem interested in each other.
I think that I will keep those 2 in my plastic tank, and the get some new ones in my planted tank. I will probably get them from petsmart as they have a wide selection. When I get them, what should I be looking for? imature or mature? big or small? etc

·
Registered
198 Posts
shouldn't they have already mated by then, or should I get more.
how many more?
what male to female ratio?
They may have if certain conditions are met.

1 that the male is of good enough quality to breed in the first place and is properly fed, and not to old. (Size will not determin if the male is young if they were crowded while raising).

2 The female/male are not sterile.

Your fish bellies look kinda thin like they are not getting much food. They should be at least level with the rest of the body. Try feeding some live foods like tubifex worms or at least frozen foods like bloodworms to really put them into breeding condition.

If you really do have a pair, then they should have been bred before the LFS you bought them from even got them, unless, like quality breeders they were kept seperate from each other during raising.

Have you never seen some young in their tank at all? how long have you had these platy's? Most normal platy Females from LFS (or Walmart) will be already pregnant, and every 25-30 days they should give birth to a batch of young.

·
Registered
198 Posts
they don't seem interested in each other.
I think that I will keep those 2 in my plastic tank, and the get some new ones in my planted tank. I will probably get them from petsmart as they have a wide selection. When I get them, what should I be looking for? imature or mature? big or small? etc
I hate to say this but buying fish from a store where you alredy bought guppies from, that died that quickly, should tell you NOT to buy there. I would try another LFS in your area or just buy some from an online dealer to get higher quality fish that will last a bit longer than less than a Day.

The female should be well rounded in the belly area and have a dark spot (called Gravid spot) above her anus area. Some color morphs you can clearly see the tiny young inside of the female in that "Gravid Spot" look for this if possible, but if not available just pick some that are healthy and have no diseases.

At this point I must recomend at least a good book on general fish care for taking care of these fishes your buying. No need to buy an expensive one just something that you LFS recommends.

GD

·
Registered
112 Posts
Actually the three fins on the fishes body are: 1 Anal fin, which turns into a gonopodium for the males reproductive system. 2 matching fins in front of the anal fin are called "Ventral" fins (not to be too Anal about it...:icon_bigg
I knew that in a roundabout way but I was giving the lazy answer. Sorry for the misinformation.

·
Registered
670 Posts
just my 2 cents but the top picture your female looks like she's dying. The bottom fish is nice and healthy and what a platy should look like. Being that she's not healthy is probably why she hasn't mated.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks, I would have never suspected that.. But now thinking about it, when ever I put food in the tank she isn't interested in it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts