The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the easier way to attach plant to Aquarium.

Wood, Lava Rock, buried in substrate, string, super glue, etc..

What is the preferable method?

I just purchased a bunch of Crypts .

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
Lately I have been enjoying the "camo" pack of zip ties. Also use a fair amount of super glue. And then of coarse just putting them in the substrate.

Crypts are root feeders and will enjoy soil if you have it or root tabs if you have inert substrates, like gravel or sand.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lately I have been enjoying the "camo" pack of zip ties. Also use a fair amount of super glue. And then of coarse just putting them in the substrate.

Crypts are root feeders and will enjoy soil if you have it or root tabs if you have inert substrates, like gravel or sand.
Do you know if Zip Ties are Aquarium safe? Like do they give off anything poisonous in the water?

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
408 Posts
So, I like the zip ties, I think that as long as their not UV treated they're okay. Great, now I am second guessing myself. lol

But I do think that thread or fishing line is probably best. It covers less of the plant and is less visible. I just stopped liking them, the thread seemed to fall off before the plant was attached for me. and never had new enough fishing line I was willing to use.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is rubber from rubber bands aquarium safe?
I have used rubber bands without problem for a while, and I have seen other forums that say they are ok though most people tend to stay away from the colored ones. I have also heard that they disintegrate over time but that it is not harmful, though this has not happened to me.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
For Anubias and Ferns? Super glue gel. Fast and easy. Same for mosses and plants like Fissidens and Pellia.

For Crypts? Plant them. They feed from their roots and their leaves but their roots will spread out like crazy - no way to contain something like that without constant trimming unless they're planted. Long tweezers are your friend.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ming unless they're planted. Long tweezers are your friend.
When I do water changes, many plants end up floating to the top of the aquarium. Sometimes this happens even without water changes. Maybe my substrate is not deep enough or something.

I was thinking of maybe attaching to a small piece of wood just to get the plant to sink to the bottom where it could take root in the substrate.

It would act just as an anchor until the rooms could take form.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
537 Posts
+1 for superglue gel. I cannot imagine anything being easier. Nothing to remove later or to disintegrate in the tank. For Crypts just plant them and try not to disturb them while their roots get established. They will be happier with their roots in the substrate.

·
Super Moderator
15,776 Posts
When I do water changes, many plants end up floating to the top of the aquarium. Sometimes this happens even without water changes. Maybe my substrate is not deep enough or something.

I was thinking of maybe attaching to a small piece of wood just to get the plant to sink to the bottom where it could take root in the substrate.

It would act just as an anchor until the rooms could take form.

Any thoughts ?
Do you have photos of your tank?

Crypts shouldn't be floating up - even if you've merely got a half inch of sand. Unless your tank is brand new or you're disturbing substrate. Note that you shouldn't really be "vacuuming" substrate in a planted tank, as you're removing all the crud that's good for plants. If you're doing that? Don't - just remove what's on the surface of the substrate via siphon and you won't be disturbing your plants enough to uproot them.

·
Registered
984 Posts
If your driftwood can be temporarily removed from the aquarium, one thing I have done is used a drill and poke holes about half an inch into the wood. I then stuck short rhizomes of anubias nana in the holes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts