The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
I was just gonna post the same thing. Felt it here wv. I've never felt one before. I'm sitting on my bed and I felt it wobble and was like ?. Then the whole floor starts to wobble. Weirdest feeling ever.

CNN is saying it was a 5.8 in Virginia.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I kinda felt it here in NJ. I was playing guitar in my room when the water in my fish tanks started shaking and I felt a shaking sensation too. I thought that the first was from me playing but then I realized I could never play loud enough to make such vibrations, and I just chalked the vibrating sensation to lack of sleep. And then came the Facebook statuses...

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It was 5.8 and centered in Mineral Va., I ran outside to see the telephone poles wiggling back and forth and the wires whipping up and down but gently. I thought it was still a violent feeling and it was hard to get out of the house with everything moving, plus my 150 is at my left side when setting at my desk so I really didn't want too get wet.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I bet the West Coasters will say were being wimps lol.
lol, My wife is from California and she said southerners are a bunch of sissys. Its not they are sissys its that they never experience earthquakes so its weird and freaky feeling one.

I felt it in Hickory, NC and alot of my friends from all over NC felt it. I'm inside an old school building that is used as an office and it was shaking and rumbling the building I got up and looked outside b/c I thought it was a gust of wind, a plane or large truck or something.

I saw reports of people feeling it as far north as Vermont and as far south as Spartenburg, SC.

If lived near the epicenter I would be concerned about my tanks. One of the my friends who lives up that way posted a pic of a large section of brick that fell off a building.

5.9 is a considered a strong quake.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Hopefully everyone's tanks are fine. The only effect the quake had on mine was some rather extreme sloshed water. Good thing I don't have any open top tanks...

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
Hopefully everyone's tanks are fine. The only effect the quake had on mine was some rather extreme sloshed water. Good thing I don't have any open top tanks...
As soon as I read this I stood up and looked, the top of my tank is soaking wet from the water movment. I was just setting here typing and it started shaking (helicopter?) I looked left to my tank and it looked a little like a Maytag and it hit me (either that helicopter is dropping bombs or) we are having an earthquake so I made a B line for the door.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
Anyone have issues w/ their tanks? I'm debating leaving work to make sure mine is OK.

You and me both man! They evacuated all of the buildings around me. I really dont need 75 gallons of water on my living room floor.

·
Premium Member
2,175 Posts
As soon as I read this I stood up and looked, the top of my tank is soaking wet from the water movment. I was just setting here typing and it started shaking (helicopter?) I looked left to my tank and it looked a little like a Maytag and it hit me (either that helicopter is dropping bombs or) we are having an earthquake so I made a B line for the door.

I have an open 75. I guess I will have some water on my floor.... I just hope the tank didn't fall over.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.