The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock: just sitting here and all the sudden my room is all getting tossed about a foot back and forth each way. it was a 6.5 the internet says. Since when do earthquakes happen in VA? I have lived in Maryland my whole 24 years of life and never.

Someone in new york I know felt it and someone in South Carolina.

But I have a question. My fishtanks are in the basement and they are not broken but should I be worried about them?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
:shock: just sitting here and all the sudden my room is all getting tossed about a foot back and forth each way. it was a 6.5 the internet says. Since when do earthquakes happen in VA? I have lived in Maryland my whole 24 years of life and never.

Someone in new york I know felt it and someone in South Carolina.

But I have a question. My fishtanks are in the basement and they are not broken but should I be worried about them?
lol... thats a tiny earthquake!!! I get earthquakes all the time... and as long as nothign is broken, it's all good... don't worry...

·
Registered
652 Posts
Thats not an earthquake to worry about, unless your tank was poorly squared.

I get earthquakes here (there are fault lines all around here, including on only a 1/2 drive away) every now and again at the 6.0 marker. My tanks have always been fine including the time when i had a 55 gallon in the basement which was full of water and totally off balance to begin with. lol

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It may be small compared to CA but when you've lived in the same area for 51 years and never experience the feeling of the floors, walls, etc. moving as you are trying to walk, it's pretty freaky.

I ran outside and my dog passed me running inside, while a cage full of Chinchillas were screaming and running about, it was like a National Geographic special in here.

·
Registered
880 Posts
California people, we know you feel bigger quakes, but the east coast hardly ever gets one so take it easy. This was my first quake here in VA, and wow, it was weird !

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I used to live in Cali myself, and its funny to me seeing people freak out here in the east coast. Ive slept through bigger earthquakes.
Were like those cows in the commercial "Foot Massage!!" lol...
I normally don't even bother to get up unless certain things in my house start falling... It doesnt help that I spent the first half of my childhood in Japan.
OOOH!! If you guys get an aftershock run to somewhere with tile... If you are lucky you get a rolling earthquake... I used to love getting those during class. The tiles roll up and down in waves like the ocean... its super fascinating to watch... Especially when it passes and not a single tile is broken. not even the grout...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Check your tanks, so long as they were not precariously perched on a precipice where they would plummet to the floor due to the movement you should be fine. It won't cause damage to the glass though else no one in CA would ever own aquariums unless they were 2" thick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.