The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the east coast had an extremely unusual earthquake yesterday, and I was only about 20 miles from the epicenter. It was "only" a 5.9, but my tank was shaking quite a bit. It seems fine now, but is there anyway for me to tell if more lasting damage was done?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
That was a weird quake. I was at work here in central MI and because of our sand bed we sit on we felt it, though not as rough. I was on the 4th floor and all of a sudden got real dizy and felt motion sick then the alarm went off (since I work for a chemical company) telling us to evacuate the building.

I would say no water on the floor, no problem.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the reassurance from everyone. I've look over the tank thoroughly and I haven't found any silicone leaks or hairline fractures. Hopefully this will be the last I think about it.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It just happened that I was close to my 3 tanks when the quake struck...............they shook a little but, no damage. Two of my tanks are on a metal rack one on top of each other and I am thinking of changing that.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
With tall stands or rack systems I think it's a good idea to attach them to the wall so they don't fall over. Living in CA for over 50 years you get use to them. But taking steps to prevent injuries from falling stuff can give you some peace of mind. That and the added Earthquake policy at $100.00/month. lol

Easter of 2010 we had one about 90 miles away. We were at my son's house and his 40g sloshed about 1 gallon on the floor. I live less than a mile away and no water at all lost from my 90g.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
It shook my tank, I was right here typing and it was the first thing I looked at, and it's very strange to see that much water moving around and it's 6 inches over my head while sitting, so. Very little water splashed and mostly got the top rim wet but I keep the tank very full and it's un covered, just a few drips down the front glass.

I did walk around my house to inspect yeaterday morning and there are 3 major cracks in my stucco but nothing that would be concidered dangerous or structural, but still a PITA that I need to caulk them and paint if I don't want water to get in there and freeze this winter, popping more off.

Even though it was concidered minor all these little things add up to cash, it was my first and hoefully my last.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.