The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I like the flexible neck, too bad it doesn't come with a reflector hood, as it would work with a spiral Compact fluorescent bulb or A19 LED. Did you notice that the plug illustrated is standard for UK style 220 volt? You'll need an adapter.

This might be a case where ordering LED clamp-on lamp would work better. ( note there are many others more suitable, this just as an example.)

Simple Designs 20.82 in. High Power Chrome LED Clip Lamp Desk Light-LD2000-CHR - The Home Depot

https://www.google.com/search?q=LED+clamp-on+bulb&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am going to take a bowl and drill for socket and glue it together with aluminium foil

im from Israel this is socket types here
i meant for power (W) of the bulb
thanks for the quick replay

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
i am going to take a bowl and drill for socket and glue it together with aluminium foil

im from Israel this is socket types here
i meant for power (W) of the bulb
thanks for the quick replay
What wattage/volts is the socket rated for?

and yes white is as good as aluminum foil..If you can find white paint w/ a high content of Barium Sulfate all the better... ;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
OK I'm sorry, from your original post on wild wood I thought you were from Nor-California's central valley, as they grow olives there also.

IIRC screw in CFL bulbs, if they're locally sourced, should be set to use whatever household voltage you've got. Not so sure about the LED A19's, mine come from a shipper in China, though Amazon, and are rated for 110 volts AC. They *might* have a built in auto dual voltage selector, there's a lot of electronic features on these new bulbs, but that's assuming a lot about the circuitry running the LED's.

Can you get CFL floodlights that look similar to this?..

..as it would simplify the installation, you would not need to fabricate a reflector.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK I'm sorry, from your original post on wild wood I thought you were from Nor-California's central valley, as they grow olives there also.

IIRC screw in CFL bulbs, if they're locally sourced, should be set to use whatever household voltage you've got. Not so sure about the LED A19's, mine come from a shipper in China, though Amazon, and are rated for 110 volts AC. They *might* have a built in auto dual voltage selector, there's a lot of electronic features on these new bulbs, but that's assuming a lot about the circuitry running the LED's.

Can you get CFL floodlights that look similar to this?..

..as it would simplify the installation, you would not need to fabricate a reflector.
i will check tomorrow
but main question is the strength of the lighting (W)(less or more ) regardless to the bulb technology

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
That's an interesting bulb, it's got a range of color 5500K to 7000K, looks like they're using different color LED chips.

i will check tomorrow
but main question is the strength of the lighting (W)(less or more ) regardless to the bulb technology
It's a cube 5 gallon tank, correct? A 9 to 13 watt fluorescent would work, LED's could be anything from 4 to 10 watts, you're a little more limited with the wattage of screw-in compact fluorescents. If there are any screw in, spiral or PAR reflector CFL below 9 watts, I've not encountered them.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/6947/FC09-R2051.html

The choices start to get overwhelming when you Google LED and compact fluorescent. Recent, ( good quality) LED bulbs are putting out nearly 80 lumens per watt, the CFL's are roughly 50~60 lumens per watt.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
That's an interesting bulb, it's got a range of color 5500K to 7000K, looks like they're using different color LED chips.
Yea uses CREE chips ,universal voltage , and 120 degree beam angle so it doesn't need to be very high off the surface ..

As to what, exactly, K temp "range" implies, I'm not sure.. Random lot variation as in your bulbs will be anywhere from 5500 to 7000k depending on day of manufacture. ;)
Or it actually mixes k "types"..

Cheaper one.. but 30 degree beam angle..

6W E27 LED Spotlight, 30 Watt Halogen Bulbs Replacement - E27 Base LED Bulbs

Would need to be about 20" off the water line..

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
generic Chinese eBay bulb 6500K? 4.49$ shipped
Need to know the beam angle..or you just basically put a flashlight over your tank..;)
assuming a height off the water line of 8" and a "footprint" of 11" diameter..

A single LED diode would need to have a beam spread of 60 degrees to cover that area...
At 12" 45 degrees..
At 6" less than 90 degrees..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.