The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 4 red crystal shrimps in my tank and today i found 2 dead.I dont know where the other ones are,probably in the driftwood,but im assuming that they are dead too.I have 0 ammonia,0 nitrite,10 nitrate,7.4 ph and 7.6 high range ph.I use RO water and the temperature of the water is 79F.The only fish i have are 6 white clouds.I want to know what im doing wrong.Thanks

·
Registered
700 Posts
Seems like everyone is having shrimp die offs. I agree about the ph and temperature. Both are too high. Try some slightly uncured driftwood, oak leaves, or indian almond leaves for the ph.

As for the temperature, just lowering or turning the heater off may not have much effect. I would use a cooling fan. I got one of those $7.00 personal cooling fans from target and it works like a charm. I just placed it on top of my HOB and pointed it downwards over the surface of the water and have yet to have a problem.

·
Banned
943 Posts
Personally I would not use a heater at all in a CRS tank. They prefer temps around 68-72 from what I understand. They can tolerate up to about 75.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
I was just gonna say that. I thought using RO water at like 100% you shouldn't have a pH of 7.6 or else whats the sense of using RO water.

Temp can do it for sure. I am running small computer fans I've wired up on all my tanks right now because of the heat. I keep mine around 72c or so.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
What is your home temperature?

I think my cherries red might have died off due to heat. But cooling my home is $$$. I think I can afford 76-77 degrees.
Red cherries can take a lot more heat than crystal reds, if they're given sufficient oxygen. If you're keeping your house at 80 or below it's not likely that temperature was the culprit, barring a tank with very little surface agitation/water movement.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Red cherries can take a lot more heat than crystal reds, if they're given sufficient oxygen. If you're keeping your house at 80 or below it's not likely that temperature was the culprit, barring a tank with very little surface agitation/water movement.
I doubt the heat do much to the cherry. I kept my fire red in a 5.5g and the tank temp all summer is around 80-84 during the day. They still breeds fine. I agree with the surface agitation, i have sponge filter on the timer at night but turn them on 24/7 in the summer.
CRS on the other hand need more love.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a big ac in my room that stays at 75.The tank temp at the lfs that has the crystal reds is the same as mine 79F and all their crystal reds are doing good.

·
Banned
4,616 Posts
I would never trust an LFS with how I should keep my shrimp unless they have specialized people taking care of it. LFS will buy to resale quickly, not to house and keep to breed. They buy in bulk for a reason.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.