The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 10gal planted tank that was originally populated with Green Fire Tetras and 2 ottos. Decided to add RCS, and discovered the green fires considered them to be snacks. So, despite how much we liked the fish, we returned them to the LFS to be replaced by neon tetras. Started with 9 green fires, never lost one, they were in the tank for 3 weeks and were perfectly healthy, active, and colorful.

Added 12 neon tetras (only paid for 10, but LFS gave me a dozen). That was approximately 48 hrs ago. Ammonia:0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 10ppm, Temp: 76F, ph: 7.2.

Have lost 9 of the original 12. 1 within the first few hours, about 5 yesterday, and 3 so far this morning. None have shown any sign of ick.

Of the 3 remaining, 1 is swimming around actively. The remaining 2 are hiding in the plants.

Called LFS, asked if they were experiecing any massive die off. Said that, of the tank of 300+ these came from, they lost maybe 8 yesterday, which they consider to be normal. That tank was a slightly higher temp, and also contained discus and darker water like many discus tanks I have seen.

So, any ideas? Neons particularly prone to stress when moved? My ottos are fine. RCS are fine. LFS said they would replace, but I'm wondering if that is wise, both from a perspective of neons in general, plus this particular batch at this particular store. Any input appreciated.

·
Returning. Videotapes.
1,389 Posts
I never liked neons for that reason....they die quickly! I've actually have had great success with cardinals, but I won't even touch neons! Get something different at your LFS!

Neons, cardinals, and rummynose tetras seem to be very picky about the water conditions. Unless your tank is mature (greater than 5 or 6 months), they don't adjust to tank conditions very easily. My only guess is that the LFS has a mature tank with softer water than your tank does, and that it sent the neons into shock. Dark water tanks have a lower pH and hardness, so it could be that the neons had adjusted to those values, and could not make the adjustment when they got into your tank. Or, they could have been stressed from being shipped, placed into a dark water tank, and then brought home by you too "soon" after they had been taken out of said tank, and never had a chance to "de-stress."

My suggestion is that if you want neons, to give them some time at the LFS to see how they will handle the tank there, and go back and buy another group. You don't want too many fish in a 10 gallon anyways.....and if you can salvage three from your current batch, I wouldn't get any more than three more!

And, most importantly, NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU AT THE LFS, losing any fish at any rate IS NOT NORMAL!!! The neons they sold simply may have been in bad shape from the get go, and were in poor health.

Sorry.....I'm just making an educated guess here. Hopefully, someone else here could be a bit more specific!

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Neons are sensitive fish, although I have seen a thread or 2, where a person has been successful using tetras on a new tank with no deaths.

First of all, how did you acclimate the tetras? As I mentioned, they are sensitive fish. You should slowly acclimate them to your tank. I usually like to float the bag in the tank for about 15-20 minutes to let the water in the bag adjust to water temps of my tank. Using a small disposable shot cup (like a dixie cup), fill about 1/3 of the cup and pour it into the bag. Repeat this every 15-20 minutes or so. I normally let the bag fill, then pour the water out of the bag, into the sink. Then repeat filling the bag.

Another thing is, how long were the tetras in the shop? If they have just arrived, then tetras were probably still stressed from the shipment. The added stress of being caught again and then put into a new tank stressed them even more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought 8 neons (5, then 3) 2 weeks ago and put them in a "not-quite-cycled" 10gal tank. I haven't lost one yet.

Perhaps your LFS got them from a bad breeder? I'd try another LFS and see if you have better luck.

Or maybe they have "Neon Tetra Disease" Try a Google Search with images and see if your neons have it.

Note: if one gets NTD, they ALL get NTD. =(

·
►◊Ö Ï Ç◊◄
965 Posts
I have never had a neon live for more than 1 year in my tank. But I bought 8 black neons and they are doing great this was almost 2 years ago along with 8 Rasbora Het all are healthy.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Based on comments so far, I phoned the LFS and they said they have had the fish less than a week. Had absolutely no problem with ottos nor the green fire tetras that had been in there for 3 weeks. Tank was initially cycled with ammonia, then bio-spira was used before adding the green fire tetras. Have had RCS for roughly a week. No casualties with the green fires, ottos, nor RCS. My acclimation process is much as has been described - floating bag, slow addition of tank water, etc.

Down to 2 neons right now, and 1 of those looks questionable. The other looks fine at the moment.

If I DO consider more, then it will be an issue of getting them from the same place, which will happily replace them free, or going elsewhere - which means paying for them again. Just seems strange that the other fish I had went through the same acclimation process, and thrived, and these neons are now at a point of 100% loss.... unless, their newness to the LFS was a key difference. The green fire tetras had been at the store for several weeks.

The only reason I chose neons in the first place was it seems to be the only fish I can find locally that seems to be RCS "safe" (as safe as can be that is).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts