The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to keeping an aquarium with live plants. I researched low maintenance plants and decided on Anacharis, Anubius Nana, Amazon Sword and Java fern. I put all the plants in the tank with a full spectrum light. Ran the tank for a few weeks while monitoring the water chemistry. Plants all did well, but the Anacharis especially, it took off and was growing like mad. I trimmed it and replanted the trimmings and they took off as well. I put fish in and watched the chemistry cycle. Still all great. Now about a month into having fish in the tank the Anacharis suddenly and quickly is dying. Other plants seem fine. I use RO water but mix it with spring water so the hardness was a little low. But the plants were doing awesome for 6weeks and then boom. I purchased a mineral supplement and applied that, but honestly, the hardness wasn't really that low. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
If you see lots of transparent leaves coming off you are probably low on iron..
There are two ways of growing it, one with bright light and lots of nutrients.
The other is in slightly darker tank with neglected water full of fish and plant waste. the second method makes them shoot out long roots.

A prat of the stem may look like it is checking out and drop to the floor. Keep an eye on it, don't just pull it out. It will very likely start a new root and plantlet from it.

I actually need to start growing some out again. My fishes eat it faster than I can grow it. Especially the angelfishes.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You would need to buy a Iron test kit, then buy something like Seachem Flourish Iron.

As for the plant itself, I don't have any advice. I bought some a few weeks ago and most of it melted. I managed to salvage the very tops of the plants which are still green. Whether they'll do anything or not remains to be seen. Any rhyming in the previous sentence was not intentional.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought searchem equilibrium and have applied it. It seems to contain quite a few minerals including iron, far to many to track and control individually. Can anyone suggest which minerals are priority enough to manage individually? Also, how can I tell if I need to add nutrients? Thanks in advance for the patience in answering a newbie's endless, probably remedial questions.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
Iron is used up vey quickly. Without it , leaves turn clear and drop off.
What size tank are you running. I'm sure with that info someone could chime in how much iron you need to add.
It will likely be more than once weekly. I keep my stuff as low tech as possible, and use Tertra PLantamin, it contains some iron, but very little in the line of NPK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
55gal tank.As of right now, 4 skirted tetras(was 5 but I lost one), 4 asst mollies, 1 otocinculus, 1 rainbow shark and 1 mystery snail. Sounds like iron is an important part. I must confess, I don't know what PNK is.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
NPK stands for Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K), the principal elements of chemical fertilizers. Some believe this is all you need for healthy plants, however there are many (27+) macro/micro nutrients required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.