The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to try this magic dust out based on the reviews here. 10$ for "the bag" sold seperately :icon_roll by seachem is ridiculous. What are people using? Nylons? The granules are small indeed!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought the 100ml size (which comes pre-bagged) to try. You might do the same to try it, unless that size just won't work for you.

That way you could decide if you like the results without buying a larger container, or worrying about what to put the stuff in. Who knows? You may love it so much that the price of The Bag becomes trivial, but if not, you haven't spent as much on the experiment. :smile:

·
Registered
426 Posts
You can get at least 2 sizes of mesh bags @ PetSmart for $1. + each.
Get two & double them up - that will hold in your Purigen nicely and you shouldn't lose any of the fine granules.
These things are really tiny, I don't know that 2x mesh bags will work.

I bought 250ml of purigen and the bag off amazon for a good price.

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Panty hose, dude. It works for all kinds of stuff. GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide), Carbon, and of course Purigen!
I used panty hose for awhile but it is a PITA because it gets very degraded when you recharge the purigen in bleach a couple of times. Then when you are rinsing the purigen off the panty hose breaks and you get all of your purigen down the drain. A lot more costly then using the bag since the bag will stand up to the bleach regen process many many times.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prebagged sound's good. The LFS I went to only had the 250 Mill bottle so I got that thinking it would last longer. Multiple votes for The Bag based on experience with nylons...must resist...learning..the hard way for...myself... :)

·
Registered
9,100 Posts
Go to the paint department and find the bags painters use to filter paint with.
If your going to do that make sure you replace the fabric everytime you regen or else your free fix will end up costing you $5-$10-15 with Purigen going down the drain. I did it once then after that I bought the bag and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Darn it. This is project creep at its best. 20 years ago I got a betta in beer glass and look where I am now. :) I'm a Mcgyver kind of guy but many comments are valid: do it right once and ask yourself what's your per hour rate. That being said, it's so nice to build your own stuff..:icon_cool

·
Premium Member
4,840 Posts
I have had terrible luck with the pre-bagged ones. After awhile, a small part of the seem will burst and the beads will come out.

I don't use it as much anymore but I found the best way is to get a 3 pack of mesh bags. Get the finest they have. Then just double or triple bag it. Even though I may have a little come out, I have never had the trouble I have had with the pre-bagged ones.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about Aquaclear's filter insert bag? How big are they?

I plan to buy 100ML and split it in 2 for my Fluval Edge
Not much space in that AquaClear 20 HOB, already have 2 sponges (removed the AC), a thin piece of scrubbing pad and the bag of biomax

Maybe I'll replace the biomax with some Seachem matrix and halve the quantity

If my math is right...1L of Purigen treats 4000L/1000G of water, so for a 23L tank, I'll only need 6ML to treat 23L/6G?!
With 50ML, I can deal with 50G of water lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.