The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew frogbit (oops, dwarf water lettuce) grew fast, but when I started growing some in a container on my desk at work I started realizing just how fast. I had to thin the growth after the first week, so I took a pic on Friday afternoon afterwards:

And then this one on the following Monday morning (the light is a spiral CF on a timer from 8 to 5, with a bit of hydroponics fertilizer in the water):

This prompted me to set up a time lapse with my cruddy webcam, 1 image per hour (8,9,10,11,12,1,2,3,4,5):

I think I'll try with a better camera after I thin it out again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long a movie can you make? It would be pretty cool to see a 1 week long video as it spreads.
I was thinking the same. I have been trying to hack the firmware on my camera so I can have it take a picture every few minutes, but all my P&S cameras are too old and my wife won't let me hack the DSLR (go figure...). I can set up the webcam that I used in the animation above, but the quality will be pretty poor.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I thinned it out again during lunch today by removing all runners from the largest "mother" plants and set up the webcam to take a pic every 10 minutes starting with this one:

I will leave the small tube fluorescent on 24/7 so there is at least an image during the night.I'll let the 25W CF run on the timer daily from 8 to 5. I added a small splash of hydroponics fertilizer again.

BTW here's a weeks worth of "harvest":

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.