The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and searched, no definitive answer, just conflicting theories. Everyone's an expert.....:hihi:

Let me start off by saying I dislike threads that begin "such and such safe with shrimp?" There are far too many of them and the answer is almost always the same.

Well, I have a specific question: Are dwarf corydoras (in my case, C. habrosus) capable of eating newborn shrimp larvae? Have you personally witnessed them eating or chasing one? Ever?

I have over 50 cherries (after I thinned the herd) and 12 C. habrosus in an 18 gal. tank. I don't care if they eat those babies, she shrimp breed too fast and I like the cories better anyway. I ask this because I wish to buy some CRS, and I'll be mighty upset if my 1.89 fish eats a $20 shrimp.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Ok.......ummmmmmmmm....why risk it? I have cory pygmaeus and have seen them devour frozen bloodworms. I've never seen them "eat" a baby shrimp though. Would the dwarf cories hunt them? Good question! I don't know. But like I stated first......why risk it with expensive shrimp??

·
Registered
974 Posts
I agree.....if you're going to pay an ungodly amount for shrimp you had better put them in their own special tank. Once you get a colony going then you can place some with fish.

Either that or you will be spending hours watching your fish to see if they are eating your fry.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
It seems to me, that if you have lots of cover, good java (or other) moss growth - that the baby shrimp would likely have a good place to hide and put on size.

Obviously you'd lose some - but I'd hazard a guess (and only a guess) that you could grow out some of your baby shrimp.

Scott
Sanford, Maine

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Here is what is known fact.

Otto is the only fish that is 100% shrimp safe.

After that it seems to depend on the fish.

Generally dwarf corries are considered to be a "safer" fish to add.

I would suggest letting the cherry population get to around 100+ before adding them just for a safety, but they Should be fine...

Once and a while maybe they'll eat a few babies... I would NOT recomend mixing them with CRS though:icon_wink

-Andrew

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cherries will actually "fight" the cories for food. They always win. Cories will try to get in there, only be brushed off by a big mama cherry.

Well said. The CRS will have a tank all to themselves (with cherries, no cories or dwarf crays).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts