The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

My daughter's tank just went crazy ... had it planted with dwarf sag (I thought) and everything was going fine. Then all of a sudden it sprouted up like mad. Could I be mistaken on the plant ID? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Honestly? I would just leave it. Dwarf Sag when grown crazily all over the place tends to look really cool IMO. An easy tank to do I have heard is Jungle Val and Dwarf Sag as they look very similar. Unfortunately, I have never had luck with either plant. I think this tank looks pretty cool in a wild, jungle sort of way without being too overgrown. Let it keep going!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think it just be like that sometimes. Once it's happy, it really takes off, and I get the tall ones from time to time, too. Maybe more light might keep it shorter? But yeah, that mostly looks like my dwarf sag.

·
Registered
76 Posts
More light. I have two tanks with a ton of healthy dwarf sag. In areas with high light they grow compact and stay low but where there's shade they start to look like val. I say leave it and just trim here and there. If you add some wood in areas it would create varying levels of light that'll change the height in places.

Honestly I love this plant. I started with a few plugs in a nano tank and it just took off to the point where its the one plant that I farm out into new tanks the most.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
You have a non dwarf variety. Aquarium co-op was selling some 'dwarf' sag that was not at all dwarf, looked a lot like this. When you have a legit dwarf variety they only grow a few inches tall, not the height of the tank. I've seen this non dwarf variety going around quite a bit this last year. Still a nice plant but it will all get that tall eventually.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.