The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added 8 dwarf rasboras to my 36 gallon planted yesterday. The tankmates are 10 rummynose tetras, 6 CPDs, and some cherry shrimp. Today, I came home to find that only 4 dwarf rasboras had survived the night. There are no bodies, nothing. I wouldn't be shocked if I had lost one or even two, but what could I attribute losing half to?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think you're going to be asked to give the run-down on your tank specs, parameters, etc., to find out what caused the losses- but this is assuming they died. But you said there are no bodies. Are you sure they're dead and not just hiding? And did you look everywhere to see if they jumped out as the explanation for no bodies?

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have kept different types of rasboras in my aquariums and 2 different ones in particular, the emerald eye and chili rasboras. 3 of my 4 aquariums I have, I keep without lids. From my experiences with these fish, for what ever reasons, they jumped out of the aquariums. :icon_frow

Look around on the floor by your tank carefully, you might find your missing fish.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So my tank specs:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
dKH: 4
pH: 7.2-a little high for these guys from what I have read.

I have a glass lid on the tank. There is an opening of about 2 inches across the back for filtration. I looked around the tank and found nothing. All my other fish are totally fine, including my otos, rummy noses, and CPDs. Also, if there was a water quality issue I would think I would lose some cherry shrimp, which I have not.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Bizarre to have them disappear without a trace. I was actually thinking the same - that if you had water problems, you'd expect it to be apparent in the other species you're keeping. Do you have pets that could have snacked on the fish if they'd still managed to jump out of the limited space at the back? Strange, for sure. Would like to think they're hiding in your plants somewhere. :-(

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The tank is only 36 gallons, and its only moderately planted, so theres almost no way they could be hiding. My dogs can't get to the tank, so they can't have snacked on them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All four missing fish were in the filter. Unfortunately, it was too late for three of them. I stuffed the intake with filter floss so nothing that big can get up into the filter, although I need a new solution because I want the filter to be able to take in some bigger things. I am sick that I didn't see this as a possibility.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
All four missing fish were in the filter. Unfortunately, it was too late for three of them. I stuffed the intake with filter floss so nothing that big can get up into the filter, although I need a new solution because I want the filter to be able to take in some bigger things. I am sick that I didn't see this as a possibility.
I know made me sick too lol, I lost a group of chili's to this. I ended up taking window screen and making a little net out of it that was put into the bottom of the filter intake. It took in larger items, but was still too big for the fish to get sucked in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The strange thing is my CPDs have never had a problem. Must be because they stay low in the plants.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
The strange thing is my CPDs have never had a problem. Must be because they stay low in the plants.
which species of rasbora were they? Chili's are very small for quite a long time, and can easily be sucked up. I have Cross banded danio's in with them in my flora, and have never lost one to the filter ,one jumped though :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts