The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought (on impulse mind you) three freshwater dwarf puffers. They are in a 5 gallon on my desk at work. My question is this, what do they eat besides snails? I have loaded and I mean LOADED this tank with any snails from my other tanks that I could grab. And they appear to be going after them. But it looks like they are only taking little nips out of the snails and not eating the whole thing. I just want to know what else I can offer to help supplement their diet. Thanks for the help.
-Nick

·
Banned
582 Posts
I would take back 2 or get a larger tank. DPs need 3 gallons each because they are heavy waste producers because of their diet, and they are territorial. They do just fine with being housed singly.

To answer your question: Any frozen food like bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. They do not need snails to keep their beak worn down. DPs have a very soft mouth for a puffer. Pellets and flakes (especially flakes) are not good for them.

They may just be playing with the snails--well, tortuting the snail. Mine did that. They may also be getting the whole snail, and you're just not seeing it. Those were my own observations in my tanks, any way.

·
Registered
845 Posts
IMO, the 5g tank is too small to house 3 DPs. They can be very territorial. Is this a planted tank? The snails should be fine for them. Those lil nips they are taking out of the snails are just the beginning/testing them. I find my DPs doing that; if the snail is small enough they will crunch the shell to get to the meat and if they are large snails they will wait to strike to just take the meat from the shell. Also, you may want to try bloodworms. Mine will occassionally take to them, but the snails are best. NO fuss and they will take care of your snails. Just keep them supplied and they will be happy campers. :)

If you are set on keeping the DPs in the 5g, then I would stock the tank well with plants. This adds variety for them and hiding places. Just keep an eye out for the aggressive behavior.

·
Banned
582 Posts
LOL I was just reading yours.

**I miss my DPs...*** I would setup a tank for more, but they would eat my shrimp, and I have other fish. No room for more tanks--I already have 10.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Just for good measure.......I would agree with the reduction to 1 DP for a 5 gallon. I had two, and it was still too many. One of them will end up terrorizing the other.

Regarding food, I had a really hard time getting htem to eat non-live food. fresh hatched BBS were about all I could do, but they LOVED those!!

·
Registered
845 Posts
I got 3 DPs in 55g, which also houses my shrimp and other creatures. I know they pick off some baby shrimp, but it doesn't stop the shrimp from populating my tank. LOL I find the DPs more interested in the snails and some of those really small critters, like daphnia and planaria. Those keep them busy enough. :)

10 tanks?? OMG! It's so easy to build up huh? First it's just one, then another, then another. LOL I'm still trying to get another one setup, mainly for shrimp. So that will give 3...LOL I have to use self control. hehehe

Littleslicknick: DP's have a lot of personality. You're going to love watching them and you will find that they will like watching you too. :)

·
Banned
582 Posts
lol...yeah, and i've been back in the hobby for just about a year. I'm actually trying to downsize. It's getting to be a pain to keep up with.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I know what you mean, AnneRiceBowl... I've just set up my fourth tank (for angelfish), and now I'm starting to think "Hmmm... two of these tanks just house bettas... maybe I won't replace these boys when they finally go..."

sorry for the completely off-topic post!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have three dp's in a 30g and they still find each other and harass one another, so I agree with the others 1 dp in a 5g. I feed mine frozen bloodworms and at first they would stalk the bloodworms like they do the snails but now they just snatch it out of my finger tips.

·
Banned
582 Posts
I had mine conditioned to eat them out of the medicine injector doo-dad. Made for less mess in the tank.

·
Registered
845 Posts
My DPs, for the most part, like to hang out with each other. Sure they will chase each other at times, but most of the time I see them swimming, hunting, inspecting things with each other. It's funny, when you put your face to the glass to stare in, they come swimming up to the glass and stare at you back. LOL :icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I would take back 2 or get a larger tank. DPs need 3 gallons each because they are heavy waste producers because of their diet, and they are territorial. They do just fine with being housed singly.

To answer your question: Any frozen food like bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. They do not need snails to keep their beak worn down. DPs have a very soft mouth for a puffer. Pellets and flakes (especially flakes) are not good for them.

They may just be playing with the snails--well, tortuting the snail. Mine did that. They may also be getting the whole snail, and you're just not seeing it. Those were my own observations in my tanks, any way.
Exactly as i would have put it, pimpette!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Am I right to assume that these are brackish water Dps. If so how much salt is added, to say 10g of water.

These guys are so cool, I may have to start another tank. That would make 2 for me.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
They are NOT! brackish at all.
they are one of the only true freshwater puffers, and salt can be detramental to them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts