The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was sold to me as a dwarf puffer. Can anyone tell from my pics if it is a dwarf . If its not what type it is. There both are about half of an inch. They have white bellys, gold skin, darker brown spots with bluish tint. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Its a dwarf puffer. Btw a pea puffer and a dwarf puffer are the same thing. Different areas call them different names same fish though. I have 4 of them in a 29 gallon tank. Very fun to watch.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks. When I bought them I was sure they where dwarfs. Once I acclimated them I noticed the bluish tint in there spots and I've never heard of dwarfs having that tint. My pic shows it rather well. If you have pics could you post please. Thanks again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have one somewhere will have to find it or can take some tomorrow when the lights for that tank comes on lol it is 4 am here so I don't wanna stress them out by take some pics now. Btw a great site for them is dwarfpuffers.com

·
Registered
166 Posts
The spots on my seem to blue sometimes too not about that might just be the way the light hits them.

A few things about them. They can be very aggressive fish also territorial. They are best kept 1 male to every 2-3 females. If you have two males together in too small of a tank they can/will get into it. I had 2 males fight in the bag coming from the store. Only one male made it. The other bite off most of the tale fin the one that died.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Is this a new fish his spots may turn blacker after a month in your tank. He may be stressed from the move and new surroundings. My puffers color would fade at night an return to normal through the day. i think its normal. very fun fish. mine loved blood worms and pond snails. i would bring home freebies from the lfs and he would eat about 25 in 2minutes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.