The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting mixed opinions by people on puffers and now I'm hesitant on getting some. AZgardens say their dwarf puffers are great at snail control and hardly ever seem to bother shrimps. They even make it a point to say the puffer's mouth is too small to eat shrimps and that it doesn't get any bigger than a nickel (or dime)!

I've had puffers before (marine and fresh) and I know the fresh water puffer I got long ago could dine on 40 ghost shrimps in no time. Too bad I didn't know if it were a dwarf puffer though, but I did know it was as big as a quarter. I just went through cleaning my filtersock and it was loaded with snails and eggs! I should just toss a puffer in there for sweet revenge >=D.

Now DwarfPuffers.com says they may get along with amanos but aren't suitable in a community tank. AZgardens on the other hand says they are (you really got to check their site).

Now I don't want to get a loach knowing it'll get bigger and eat my amanos, so what's your take on a dwarf puffer? Safe on shrimp but deadly on snails? I'm really hating them snails.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
What kinda shrimp? a juvenile/small dwarf puffer isn't big enough to go after a full-grown Amano...those things are huge! But if we're talking RCS, CRS, snowballs, etc...the dwarf puffer will leave them alone...until they figure out how delicious they are.

I actually have 3-4 Amano shrimp along with my DPs (about the size of a quarter, I'd say) and they do fine together.

·
Registered
888 Posts
There are loaches that don't grow too big. What is the size of your tank? Clown loaches, on the other hand, should be avoided. You have a choice of Botia striata, Botia almorhae, Botia kubotai, Botia rostrata and Botia morleti. The last one will have to be avoided as it is one of the most aggressive loaches and the worst loach I ever tried.:mad:

·
Registered
780 Posts
I drpooed a DP into my 10 gallon cherry shrimp tank about a month ago. The ramshorns outnumbered the shrimp, and there were tiny ones everywhere. I have seen a significant reduction in the number of snails, but the shrimp don't seem to be multiplying as quickly either. I suspect the DP is eating both snails and baby shrimp, but isn't going to eradicate either. I'm giving the situation a bit longer to see what happens, but if the shrimp don't make more progress the DP will be removed from the tank.
Incidentally, AZ Gardens has a bad track record for shipping anything other than plants. I wouldn't take their word too seriously concerning compatability. I've seen plenty of posts regarding DP's being holy terrors in community tanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 76 gallon and the fish are doing great in there. About 15 amanos and 6 cherries. 21 shrimps are a lot or maybe they're not enough, but I think that's a lot since all they do is hop onto the moss ball and float all over the tank. Would've liked to stick with one shrimp species but was told cherries eat much more types of algae and were more efficient.

I've had a Figure 8 before and never seen it nip at any thing else. It was always swimming to the top when I was around, waiting for worms. I know they love ghost shrimps though. Marine puffers never seemed to bother my cleaner shrimp or turbo snails either, then again the turbo snails didn't reproduce like rabbits.

I'm very curious how a dwarf would do in a planted tank w/ shrimps. The snail problem is really insane, insane to the point my driftwood is covered with eggs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention I've never been successful in breeding shrimp, but fish on the other hand was always great. The snails are definitely outnumbering the shrimp so I hope a puffer or two won't notice the shrimps.

In regards to AZ gardens, I really don't like how they bill first then ship a week later, though their plants are excellent IMO and 3 out of 3 times they've shipped my plants with livestock in the same box. Regulator on the other hand....

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had a dwarf puffer in a nano with RCS, and never had a problem with it going after the shrimp or shrimplets. He did do a number on my snails though. If your looking for another alternative Dwarf Loaches, or Botia Sidthumunki's are very small (think like, an inch to inch and a half) and, if you get a few of them non aggressive. Never saw them go after my shrimp either, but helped with the snail population.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you want a sustainable food for the puffer keep it in cherry tank. Better have a decent breeding population going elsewhere. Eventually all the skrimplets will never grow out and the parents will die of old age, unless eaten too. :)

Snails don't stand a chance against a hungry DP. I had hundreds of pond snail in my 55 at one time. Now with two DP snail are added from other tanks to supplement diet. Now that I hear adult cherry shrimp aren't as susceptible I may try to get some adults and see how it goes, after I get my breeding population going as well.

As for AZ advice take it or leave it. Just like the rest of our babble. :)

·
Registered
234 Posts
dwarf puffers are nasty little beings, they readily accept ghost shirmp, and yes they love snails. Because there mouth is small it does not mean that they wont eat something larger, this applies to all pets , they just rip it apart. Puffers are also fin nippers watch out for this. I have 7 inch clown loaches with 25 amanos, havent lost one ( thats 4 7 inch clownloaches) and i have seen this combo many of times.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My Dwarf/Malabar Puffers have done fine in the Community tank. One thing that the nice yound lady at PetSmart told me was that by having a heavily planted tank with lots of cover, Dwarf Puffers have some security and can hide if they need to. Mine have never nipped at other fishes fins, only at eachother. Yesterday in fact, I got home and flicked on the lights to the tank and dropped in some flake food, and the WhiteCloud Minnows were chasing the Puffers away. Mine are very docile little guys.

Also, I've kept them with Cherry shrimp, have not yet had anyone come up missing. I have 3 in the tank with the DP's.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I kept dwarf puffers in a heavily planted community tank with Iriatherina werneri, Pseudomugil gertrudae, Corydoras pygmeus, Amano shrimp, cherry shrimp, and RCS. They turned my rainbows into threadfinless rainbows and nipped everyone else as well...meanwhile my smaller shrimp were mysteriously disappearing (the amanos were fine). Needless to say they were soon rehomed.

Great fish, tons of personality and interesting behaviour, but need a species tank.

As for Arizona Aquatic Gardens, just make sure to put it on a credit card and then keep the 800 number handy to reverse the charges...they seem to excel only at ignoring one's requests and shipping out highly decomposed shrimp.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I have a dwarf puffer in a small tank all to himself and put some cherry shrimp in there for algae control. The adult population seems to stay stable and I've never seen him pick off an adult shrimp, but I never see baby shrimp in that tank -- and they're EVERYWHERE in my other two tanks -- so I suspect he's picking off the little guys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 amanos and 2 ghost shrimp in an 8 gallon tank with one dwarf puffer and have no problems with him bothering the shrimp. I'm going to try to relocate some of my RCS once they start having babies. If I were you I would go pick up some cheap ghost shrimp and see if there are any issues, if they don't eat em them the amanos should be fine.

Like others have said I would be careful with azgardens, my order of plants and amanos arrived ok but was missing some plants. Took 2 weeks and a complaint to the better business bureau just to get them to respond to me (still don't have my plants).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.