The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a dwarf pufferfish and a spotted leopard fish in the same tank since they were babies....bout 2 yrs now. and the other day the leaf fish while trying to grab a bite of bloodworms, got the puffer in his mouth also. but then spit the puffer back out. the puffer seems fine, i hope.

puffers can protect themselves pretty well right?

should i be worried?

denise

·
Registered
563 Posts
Spotted leopard fish = Ctenopoma acutirostre?

Those get about 6", keeping it with small fish is a bad idea.
Agreed. I mean yes, a puffer can protect itself pretty well, but there isnt much you can do about being swallowed! And even though dwarf puffers dont really swell up to the extent that SW puffers do...there is a real chance that if the leaf fish swallows the puffer, and the puffer swells up...one fish is going to choke to death and the other is going to die inside its throat. Not a pretty picture, im sorry...but its a real possibility!

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he did eat him. i knew it could happen i just never thought it would. they lived 2gether 2yrs. so now what type of fish is a good match 4 the leopard fish? i dont like butterfly fish or congo tetras.

·
Registered
93 Posts
wow thats crazy!! u knoq im in the same boat. i have a 35 tall set up (well not completely just a few more plants to go in) but thats the fish i want in there i have decided to go with no mates just 2 Ctenopoma acutirostre im really excited about geting them i think myt tank will be perfect for them

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cories are armored catfish, they should pass the test. Avoid any of the dwarf varieties though, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot for the information.

I actually put my raphael catfish in there and i will pary just keep those 2 in seclusion for now. they have a rubber lip with them also.

seems like a happy family.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts