The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying a striped raphael catfish? They are nocturnal, so wouldnt be around the puffer all the time, and they have a protective "armor" for lack of a better word, that may protect them from a puffer attack.

I'm thinking about putting one in with my dwarf puffer, any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
they are super nasty, so avoid anything that can't avoid them. the raphael may be ok though... I kinda feel as though the puffer is a species tank only fish though...

F

·
Registered
439 Posts
Agree with F22 on the species tank; not so much on the super nasty.

I have kept a 5 gallon Dwarf Puffer tank with Amano's. No dead Amano's. Will attack snails in earnest.

If you are going to keep a dwarf puffer, keep a small separate tank and breed snails. Also like bloodworms.

Leave other fish out of it. Aggression breeds aggression. They are docile as loners, jerks as part of a larger group.

Here are some shots of my old 5 gallon planted puffer tank:

5 Gal Puffer Tank Album

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
noted about the nasty, some are fin nippers... I think that if you get a large group of ghost shrimp in there with some shells, rock work and driftwood they will prolly establish a breeding group and you won't need to do much feeding...

F

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like a lot of folks have been having success with otos in the same tank as dwarf puffers, I know all fish are different but I havent heard of anybody with problems between the DPs & the otos.

Also what about a dwarf crayfish, I would think the shell could protect them in an attack?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I had some DPs with dwarf crayfish. Typically there were no problems, but I did have to free one of the DPs from the clutches of a crayfish once though. It was the only time I actually saw them puffed up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wish I could put a DP or two in my planted community tanks for snail control, but I know it's a bad idea...

·
Registered
45 Posts
It would almost be worth it to get rid of the snails. Almost.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Colomesus Asellus is a dwarf variety from Colombia and are pretty peaceful. They do well in groups and you can pretty much kiss any snails good-bye in a very short time.

I'm keeping mine in a community setup and haven't seen them bother another fish yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah those South American puffers seem pretty cool. I was looking into these but kind of lost interest when I heard you had to drug them & clip their teeth/beak a few times a year. Is that a pain or is it no big deal?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yeah those South American puffers seem pretty cool. I was looking into these but kind of lost interest when I heard you had to drug them & clip their teeth/beak a few times a year. Is that a pain or is it no big deal?
Well it depends, because of you feed it some bloodworms, it won’t be as bad. Like food will make the teeth not grow much. But I am not sure tho 🧐

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.