The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up a 2.5g and trying to figure out what to stock it with.

I definitely want RCS. I am using fliourite and lava rock and plan to have it fully carpetted with the rock exposed.

I know dwarf puffer like roam the tank, get territorial, like to eat snail (so i assume they might enjoy shrimp too) and have thin skin. By all of this I'm assuming dwarf puffer probably isnt a great idea but figured id ask for some input from anyone with more experience.

·
Registered
403 Posts
2.5 is too small for any variety of dwarf puffer, that said I have my pea puffer in a 15 g with pond snails and a bunch of RCS, she ignores the RCS (probably because they are bigger than her) and just eats the snails. I have another tank cycled and waiting for her in case she realizes how tasty shrimp are lol.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2.5 is too small for any variety of dwarf puffer, that said I have my pea puffer in a 15 g with pond snails and a bunch of RCS, she ignores the RCS (probably because they are bigger than her) and just eats the snails. I have another tank cycled and waiting for her in case she realizes how tasty shrimp are lol.
I have to agree on the 2.5g being too small for dwarf puffers. The usual advice is a minimum of 5 gallons per puffer. My puffers LOVE the smaller ghost shrimp I put in their tank. Once the shrimp get bigger they are safe but the smaller ones disappear fairly quickly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I reality I think 2.5 should be fine with good filter and lots of plants. They are really small. I have 3 in 25 and tank gets a bit boring so I added a bunch of shrimp and they were fine. I won't rec expensive shrimp BC the d. Puff may change their minds.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I own 2 dwarf puffers.They share their 20 gallon with 3 ottos.

2.5 gallons is to small im sorry. If you get a 5 gallon over filtered and densely planted you could get away with 1.
I myself prefer to keep more than one due to loving watching them interact with one another but some prefer to keep them on their own as their personality comes out more.

If you did get one i reccomend it to be densly planted with a sand base. I also hear puffers hate currents but mine spend their days swimming in it so i have it on full blast the whole time but maybe it depends on the puffer.:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. This is all what i figured would be the answer :( lol. They are adorable and entertaining to watch, but im not setting up a 5+ gallon tank for 2 puffers (for space and cost)

Probably just going to go with my backup plan of a few cherry shrimp, oto, maybe some cili rasbora (might even be to small for them, ill see what the local breeder suggests)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts