The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that they are FW fish. At some point of time, they were salt water fish. To my understandment all puffers are poisonous. This is what one person said one a similar question on yahoo answers. "all puffer fish have some of the toxin, even the dwarf puffers ... but the dwarf puffers would not be enough to kill ... and you can have 1 dwarf puffer per 5 gallons ... people have suggested more but i would hazard a guess they have never had the fish to suggest that or googled the info ..." If this is true then it wouldn't be enough to kill a human but definitely would be enough to kill another aquarium fish. :eek5:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,763 Posts
One of mine inflated once but returned to normal without problems. He was fighting with another male.
From what I read in the below link they are only poisonous when they ingest algae growing on snails they eat. Highly unlikely that they find that in your aquarium. If they were wild caught they might have a small amount of toxin but it will disappear over time. This article is a really good read.
http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/the-dwarf-puffer-a-pleasant-little-surprise.htm
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top