The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other half and I (mostly the girlfriend, to be honest) have had some amazing luck with dwarf puffers - they are spawning madly and have created many patches of what looked to me like frog egg masses. I discovered the egg masses during some much needed maintenance. Then, to our utter amazement, we saw a few of these little guys swimming around:

Hide and Seek ...

The little guy in the photo is the size of a match head, but it's sibling(s) were half again as small.

Family Shot

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
YES! Good job.

Now, could you please come over to my place and teach mine what to do? :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm impressed!

You must be doing something right with your tank setup, maintenance, and water chemistry!
Thanks! I'll pass on your praise to the girlfriend.

Aww super cute!
D'awwwwww! Need a home for one? :D
:)

YES! Good job.

Now, could you please come over to my place and teach mine what to do? :)
This is great!

Care to share water parameter details? Feeding details and such? Could go a long way in helping others.

Can't wait to see those little critters as they grow up.
congrats! please do share your secrets!
Honestly, we didn't do anything special other than leave them alone ... unless you count neglecting trimming for much, much longer than I should have. There is a big clump of java fern growing on two pieces of driftwood in the middle, and some Blyxa japonica growing in some aquasoil. The girlfriend uses a mix of distilled and tap water. The tank receives no ferts, no CO2, and uses pretty weak LED lights but the plants, especially the Blyxa, go absolutely crazy. I think it's because of the high N load from the puffers. Oh, and they are only fed live food. I'll post a (kind of crummy) FTS later.

Nice :proud:
:)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Your so lucky ! One of my 2 i brough a few weeks back to join my older male is the size of your baby... not sure how old he is then:(
How many have you got?Your lucky , tell your girlfriend i say well done , shes clearly an amazing owner!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many did you keep in one tank? Do they fight? and Do they fight the babies?
Your so lucky ! One of my 2 i brough a few weeks back to join my older male is the size of your baby... not sure how old he is then:(
How many have you got?Your lucky , tell your girlfriend i say well done , shes clearly an amazing owner!
Thanks! We started with a male and two females. All were the size of a corn kernel when we picked them out, and we were able to sex them at that age.

They don't really fight, although lately we've witnessed the male harassing the females ... it might be part of a spawning ritual.

I'm fairly certain that I didn't find more fry because they were either eating each other or being eaten by the parents. A bit sad, and I suppose if we wanted to "scale up production" we could move the eggs to a separate grow-out tank. I don't think the girlfriend wants to deal with all of that right now though. I set up two low-tech, low-maintenance planted tanks for her (including this one) and she doesn't seem to want a third :icon_neut.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ahhhhh all the babies! SOOO cute! I just have one and she is such a sweetie.

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Ahhhhh all the babies! SOOO cute! I just have one and she is such a sweetie.
What size tank and Tankmates?

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tank is a rimless 30cm cube, with Aquaclear 20 filter. Three adult dwarf puffers, unknown number of fry, and a lone oto. There used to be an amano shrimp in there but we're pretty sure that the dwarf puffers ... rectified ... that.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
FTS? I'd love to see the plant density :D

Mind if I post this up on The Puffer Forum? It might be of use for them. *if you haven't already*

·
Invert Warrior
3,886 Posts
Tank is a rimless 30cm cube, with Aquaclear 20 filter. Three adult dwarf puffers, unknown number of fry, and a lone oto. There used to be an amano shrimp in there but we're pretty sure that the dwarf puffers ... rectified ... that.
I hear they're majorly peaceful with shrimp. They may have eaten a deceased body though.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.