The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking in a tropical fish magazine and I saw a picture where they had driftwood coming out of the water and they had papyrus plant growing off the driftwood and out of the water. I was wondering how I can accomplish this look myself any ideas how I could make this happen. I will post a picture of what I am talking about just got to find it

·
Registered
171 Posts
It looks to me like they made little islands in the water for the papyrus, since I think Cyperus is a rooted plant that needs some dirt...? You can do this using a shower caddy on the glass near the surface, if you dont want to build up a whole center island. Those other broad leaved plants are Anubias which are epiphytes. This means you can superglue (yes really) them to driftwood and they dont need soil. If you get tall driftwood, as long as the roots are still underwater the foliage will come out and grow happily emersed.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ha ha, no definitely not. Looks like they built up a little rough platform that might hold a little dirt in the forks of the wood. Or hid a shallow saucer in there for some? But for sure an awesome look, I see why you'd want to replicate it!

Hopefully a real aquascaper chimes in, theres a ton of plants in there I dont recognize.

·
Registered
782 Posts
There's a few ways to do that. Most involve using unseen hardscape elements to make a riser for the emergent plants.

Relatively easy method: glue, screw or otherwise attach rock and or wood to create a frame for your island, leaving the center hollow. It can be as pretty and elaborate or simple looking as you like, depending on how thick plant coverage is going to be. The center can be filled with bags of lava rock, which is light and takes up space, then you use poly batting or filter floss to fill the gaps to prevent soil from going into the cracks and top it up with your planting medium. You add your plants then, gluing them to the side of the island, starting at the bottom and working up to make it easier, and plant your emergent stuff up top last. Then you fill the tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.