The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in breeding Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish. I have 2 but I suspect that they are both males. I read that for 1 female need 2 males. For appistogrammy I was told you need two female 1 male. Read with the Rainbow you need to have a two female to three male ratio. Thus uncertain if possible to breed if I just get 1 female.

Yes or no?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
as long as there is a boy and a girl.

the male:female ratio is to curb aggression toward a specific fish.
it really should be 1:3 male:female ratio.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeh, I have heard that sometimes fish that are suppose to not be aggressive are so. My 2 males are very peaceful, at present. They are so timid that they eat after the platys do. They swim together at times going in circles similar to courtship. Their colors are the same thus I am pretty certain that they are both males.

·
Registered
269 Posts
They are timid because they are schooling fish and you only have two of them. A nice school of 7 or more would make them more apt to breed and make them feel more at home in your tank.

Bruce

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the reason I ended up with 2 was I found them when I was looking for Rummynose. They were being sold as Rummynose Tetra $2.5 at
Pet Supermarket in Austell GA. I wasn't certain what they were but I knew that they were something special. Drawing unemployment benefits I don't feel right buying 5 fish that are $9 a piece.

I just got a small school of Black Neons. Perhaps they will school with them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts