The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I just got back to the hobby and the forum, glad to be back!

I'm setting up a new small tank( 20 gal Long) and I would like to include a carpet of the smallest hairgrass available, or the smallest that would do best in my setup.

First, some of my tank's specs to put things in context:

TANK: 20 Gal Long
FILTRATION: Fluval 206 canister (media modified as follows: bottom tray: coarse, med, fine pads - in that order starting at the bottom; middle and top trays: biohome biological media
SUBSTRATE: Flourite Black SAND
LIGHT: 30" Finnex Stingray Aquarium LED Light
CO2: 5lb co2 Tank, AQUATEK Regulator, GLA ATOMIC CO2 DIFFUSER - INLINE
FERTS: I plan to dose the water column with Easy Green and I suppose I should use some kind of root tabs in the substrate for the hairgrass.

Now, I could really use your help on the following 2 related issues:

1) I've been researching dwarf/mini options of hairgrass but I've found very conflicting information, some vendors and hobbyists say the on variety of Eleocharis is smaller than other and then other vendors/hobbyists say the exact opposite. I have been looking at the following 3 types of Eleocharis:

E. Eleocharis sp. 'Mini' by Tropica (Tropica also refers to it as Eleocharis acicularis 'mini'), which I read that was given to Tropica by our very own Tom Barr. According to Tropica, "it has even lower growth than the common Eleocharis parvula"

E. Parvula: for which I have also found information claiming that it is the smallest of the hairgrasses.

E. Pusilla: (I have seen it mentioned as if it was the same as Parvula, which I think is incorrect). I haven't found much information on this on this one but vendors also claim this is the smallest of the Eleocharis.

Could someone please clarify this for me? I'm trying to choose the smallest one, but another concern is which one would carpet better in my tank.

And any additional information regarding how they compare to each other (looks, difficulty to grow, etc) would also be appreciated and would help me decide which of the 3 would better in my tank.

2) Now that I think about it, this should have been my first question: In general, will hairgrass carpet nicely in the setup described above?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Diego

·
Registered
21 Posts
Smallest *species* doesn't necessarily mean smallest variety. Maybe the wild type E. parvula is smaller than other wild type aquarium Eleocharis, but the cultivated "mini" variety of some other species, or hybrid of species, could be smaller still.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts