The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through articles on Paludariums on one of the websites, and this was recommended as a paludarium friendly plant. Has or is anyone keeping this plant and if so, what are your experiences with it? Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't have the dwarf version, but do have the horsetail. I have it growing partially submerged. It makes for a good border plant, does not require humidity but did start getting stanky fully submerged (root rot).

In an 8" deep net pot, it's half submerged, recovered well and is growing. I'm waiting for some remodeling to put it in a wabi kusa style aquarium.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the dwarf version, but do have the horsetail. I have it growing partially submerged. It makes for a good border plant, does not require humidity but did start getting stanky fully submerged (root rot).

In an 8" deep net pot, it's half submerged, recovered well and is growing. I'm waiting for some remodeling to put it in a wabi kusa style aquarium.
How long have you been able to maintain it? I've grown it before as well, at least two different varieties, but both eventually died out. It seems to require a dormancy period in order to maintain long term.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I believe I received it sometime in January, 2016. It's been growing in my window sill since then. I live in zone 9/10. If you live in USDA plant hardiness zones 7 – 10, horsetail is easy to grow. What zone are you in?

I have it in a net pot covered with nylons half submerged in a bowl in my window pending aquarium transplant.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Horsetail Herb Growing And Info: How To Grow Horsetail Herbs Horsetail Herb Uses ? Information On Caring For Horsetail Plants

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in zone 3/4 ;), and we have a least two varieties of horsetail that grow natively in this area as well. It is super easy for me to grow as well, it grows all along my creek in my pasture, and it comes up every single year, I don't even have to plant it from seed. However when transplanting it to the aquarium, that changes. If you manage to keep it alive and healthy in your tank for over two years without a dormancy period, then you will have accomplished something that I can't find anyone else in the aquarium trade that has, including at least two people who make a portion of their living selling aquarium plants.

This tidbit taken from your linked article

"Plants prefer a half day of sun and high heat and humidity. If you live in USDA plant hardiness zones 7 – 10, horsetail is easy to grow. It’s best to start plants from seed six weeks before the last frost and transplant outside in early spring."

Implies that your horsetail will require a dormancy period as well. It may be easy to grow "outside", but inside is a different story. Most of the plants that grow in the temperate zone require a dormancy period in order to remain healthy long term, otherwise they simply melt and fad away over time. I see lots of people who post up their experiences with equisetum or horsetail initially. As I said, I've even kept it for almost two years myself. I have yet to see a long term success story. Not that I would mind if you were the first, mind you, I would be thrilled if you pull it off. I just find it unlikely.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwarf horsetail (Equisetum scripoides)

Lots of people were looking, but not commenting, so I assume people were hoping to actually see some Dwarf horsetail in a paludarium rather then read a question about it, so here you go;

The hardest part was getting it out of the container LOL, and breaking it up into suitable pieces;

Then it was time to determine placement. I placed some in both the dry terrestrial areas and the soggy bog border, so we will see which area supports better growth.

A little along the riverbank in the shade of the tree.

And a bit more along the riverbank, not in the shade;

Now we will see how it grows in and how it lasts. I did save enough to pot and try and grow out in the greenhouse as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.