The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice on growing dwarf HC, this is my 5th attempt at growing this stuff and I just can't get it right.

My setup is a 10 Gallon.

Finnex Planted Plus 18" on 8 hours/day
Eco-complete substrate 2" deep
Pressuirzed CO2, 5lb tank, fluval diffuser into pump
dozing Flourish comp once a week

It seems that the dwarf HC is just getting covered in algae, and is slowly falling apart. I stopped dosing flourish and am doing regular water changes to pull excess nutrients out of the water column, thinking that was the issue. Hasn't helped. Turned the lights back from 10hrs a day to 8 hours.

Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I assume you mean Hemianthus callitrichoides by Dwarf HC. Your issue lies within the nutrients your providing. You have light and CO2 and your not providing adequate nutrients to sustain plant growth. That's why the regular water changes aren't helping as there weren't enough nutrients to begin with.
Flourish comprehensive is only providing micro nutrients you need to dose macros as well which are NPK. Have a read online of the EI or PPS pro dosing methods. Also look to buy dry fertilisers to save $$$.
Most of the plants in this tank are relatively undemanding so I wouldn't go crazy on the dosing maybe 1/2 EI amounts. If you add some stems plants like Hemianthus micranthemoides that may also help with algae problems as you will have fast growing plants competing for resources. Of course as you add faster growing plants you should try and increase dosing amounts to match that so try and tailor your dosing amounts based on how your plants are responding. As right now, from what I can see your plants are slow growers, that's why the Anubias and Java Fern are growing relatively fine with such low amounts of nutrients in the water column.
Also reducing photoperiod is a good route to go for now, I don't recommend starting on 10 hours in a tank anyway try and start with 4-6 and work your way up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.